March 28, 2024, 05:35:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Poll

What should replace the gasoline engine?

Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engines
Hydrogen Fuel Cells
Other Fuel Cells
Electric Vehicles
The End Of Cars
Bikes

Topic: Replacing the Gasoline Engine  (Read 121389 times)

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
Re: Replacing the Gasoline Engine
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2006, 08:23:48 PM »
well i'm gonna have to say some of my best friends are australians and i love them to death

plus, no offense, i hate california. too much heat and humidity for me
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline Equi

• chef de cuisine
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +20/-11
  • Und nach mir die Sintflut
    • miketionary
Re: Replacing the Gasoline Engine & Driving Cars
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2006, 05:15:22 AM »
Do we have any Germans here?

I want to drive on the autobahn (sorry if it's not spelt right) really badly. My cousin plays soccer in Germany. He says he loves the autobahn, and there are fewer bad drivers in Germany than in America.

P.S. I added something to the subject.
So what you wanna know?
No speed limit, unless otherwise stated. Nevertheless, it might be quite challenging to brake from 250kmh down to 80, because all the sudden there's a sign saying "slow, oil track!"...
I'm not suffering from a mental disease - I'm enjoying it.
miketionary

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2006, 06:56:57 PM »
i've heard there's a ton of traffic on the autoban so it's really difficult to actually go fast...

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2006, 08:00:41 PM »
I have been on it and it was ok. Nice well maintained roads and not too much traffic (especially compared to the London ring roads).
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2006, 08:44:33 PM »
was it all people exclaim it to be or is that all just frosting on the so-to-speak cake?

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline syko sykes

• Mole Snacks: +12/-10
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2006, 11:43:35 PM »
i've heard there's a ton of traffic on the autoban so it's really difficult to actually go fast...
at least there wouldn't be many American cars slowing you down

also, aren't there still cops (or something to that affect) that can pull you over for wreckless driving if they think you're going to fast even though there's not a posted speed limit
AP Chemistry Squad Member [V]

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2006, 04:37:07 AM »
AFAIK although there is no speed limit there is a recommended speed, and Germans - as very disciplined nation - mostly obey. And lack of the speed limit doesn't mean there are no other rules to play by. So it sounds good, but reality is just as boring as everywhere else.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Equi

• chef de cuisine
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +20/-11
  • Und nach mir die Sintflut
    • miketionary
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2006, 01:28:09 PM »
Again, there is no speed limit on german motorways, unless a big fat red circled sign with a black number on white background says so.
Traffic depends on the time and area. I wouldn't recommend driving 250 on a Friday afternoon near Munich or Dortmund/Gelsenkirchen/... The best time to legally speed is therefore a Sunday morning at 6am or so - enjoy and don't break your neck.
I'm not suffering from a mental disease - I'm enjoying it.
miketionary

Offline tennis freak

• Mole Snacks: +10/-9
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2006, 09:08:41 PM »
And lack of the speed limit doesn't mean there are no other rules to play by. So it sounds good, but reality is just as boring as everywhere else.

dude there is no freakin' way that going super fast like that can be just as boring as everywhere else were we unfortunately do have speed limits ;D
AP Chemistry Squad Member [004]

Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic!

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2006, 03:35:13 PM »
It would only be interesting for a while. Maybe someone will devise a gasoline replacement that produces more power and torque than the gasoline engines today.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2006, 04:43:24 PM »
One thing we do have to realize is that the Stone Age did not end for lack of stones, but for new technological advances, so why should the Oil Age end for lack of oil?

Which means, in a way, that we will have to look for alternatives to those goddam dirty, ineffecient, and murderous machines we call gasoline engines.

I apologize to all those who have suffered the addiction to oil.
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2006, 12:42:04 PM »
It would only be interesting for a while. Maybe someone will devise a gasoline replacement that produces more power and torque than the gasoline engines today.

my hydrogen-oxygen rocket car idea  ;D

it would give the torque of well...a rocket lol

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2006, 02:50:55 PM »
The various alternate engine systems and alternative fuel all targetting solving the fuel efficiency problem. but the scientists behind these technologies seem to forget that power is an important factor for someone to use their technology. I am not going to drive a car that can go at most 50km/h even if its fuel efficiency is 100%.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2006, 06:28:48 PM »
The various alternate engine systems and alternative fuel all targetting solving the fuel efficiency problem. but the scientists behind these technologies seem to forget that power is an important factor for someone to use their technology. I am not going to drive a car that can go at most 50km/h even if its fuel efficiency is 100%.
i wouldn't drive a car that topped out at 100mph even if its fuel efficiency is 150%. ;)
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2006, 07:39:59 PM »

i like the way you think!  ;D

it's like the hybrid cars, fred flinstone could accelerate faster with his feet than those cars can

i wouldn't drive a car that topped out at 100mph even if its fuel efficiency is 150%. ;)

how do you plan on getting 150% efficiency? will it generate hydrogen and oxygen on it's own from the intake or what lol

-Your's truly, 2006;

Sponsored Links