March 29, 2024, 08:07:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Poll

What should replace the gasoline engine?

Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engines
Hydrogen Fuel Cells
Other Fuel Cells
Electric Vehicles
The End Of Cars
Bikes

Topic: Replacing the Gasoline Engine  (Read 121400 times)

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
Re: Replacing the Gasoline Engine
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2006, 04:23:04 PM »
I agree, the mini nuclear reactor does sound like an interesting option.

I love gasoline engines but their inefficiency is SOO annoying.

I think we overhaul the entire transportation system. Make roads straight so...

We make cars big enough to fit a small rocket engine in it and run vehicles on a Hydrogen Oxygen reaction. It is highly renewable and cheaper. Plus it'll give you a rush you'll never believe.

We just need to make a few adjustments to road and teach people how to drive these new cars.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2006, 02:30:07 PM »

We just need to make a few adjustments to road and teach people how to drive these new cars.
man, people barely know how to drive right now, you give them a car with a small rocket engine and there would be more wrecks than now. people with their suv's think they own the road.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2006, 08:17:16 PM »

man, people barely know how to drive right now, you give them a car with a small rocket engine and there would be more wrecks than now. people with their suv's think they own the road.

then vote for bikes or the end of cars :D
one learns best by teaching

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2006, 11:13:06 PM »

then vote for bikes or the end of cars :D

bikes are no fun. the end of cars would be the end of the world, that is a huge market, and a huge part of our economy.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2006, 11:14:54 PM »
bikes are no fun.

I like bikes and think they are fun :)

the end of cars would be the end of the world,

LOL :D

I presume this is sarcasm ;)
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2006, 11:18:11 PM »
cars are seriously a large market. without the ability to travel long distances, then other markets would die down. cars are the basis of everything that has to do with the city.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2006, 11:20:04 PM »
cars are seriously a large market. without the ability to travel long distances, then other markets would die down. cars are the basis of everything that has to do with the city.

I agree, but this does not equate to the end of the world. Maybe the slowing of consumerism, greed, war etc etc... ::)

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2006, 11:21:51 PM »

I agree, but this does not equate to the end of the world. Maybe the slowing of consumerism, greed, war etc etc... ::)
if cars didn't die out gradually then we would have severe problems. i don't know about you but i love driving.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2006, 11:23:45 PM »
I don't mind driving. I used to like it a lot more, but since my current job requires about an hour drive to get to work and an hour drive to get home it is a bit over rated now ;)

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2006, 11:25:49 PM »
I don't mind driving. I used to like it a lot more, but since my current job requires about an hour drive to get to work and an hour drive to get home it is a bit over rated now ;)
yeah, driving to work isn't very fun, and there are only a few open twisty roads left.

Offline buckminsterfullerene

• Mole Snacks: +8/-6
  • 3.14159265358 9793238462643 3832795028841 97169399
    • Myspace
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2006, 01:38:41 AM »
I agree, the mini nuclear reactor does sound like an interesting option.

I love gasoline engines but their inefficiency is SOO annoying.

I think we overhaul the entire transportation system. Make roads straight so...

We make cars big enough to fit a small rocket engine in it and run vehicles on a Hydrogen Oxygen reaction. It is highly renewable and cheaper. Plus it'll give you a rush you'll never believe.

.. that would be an interesting experience.... but not necessarily cheap and think about the range.    That and you need to find a way to drive enough Oxygen to allow the vehicle to work.

I voted for fuel cell vehicles though i am not to certain of their current applications.  I am aware of a fuel cell bike that has a 200 mile range on i think it was 10 oz. of hydrogen.  it has a 1 kilowatt nanofuel cell with a speed of 50 mph.  really really light.  should be out in the market on June or July in California (they have hydrogen pumps, according to what i have read).  either way, i do not see the application of hydrogen fuel cell cars in the future.  they require a large base, and large amounts of oxygen, but the amount of electric power that they generate (the prototype built by GM which costs around $5 million) is astonishing. 

a hydrogen car can be built now for about $350,000, and the reason is storage and the cost of the precious metals used in the fuel cell systems themselves.  the costs of a fuel cell has to decrease to $50 per kilowatt before it is competitive with the current automotive market and its currently at $1000 per kilowatt(may be achieved with advanced in nanotechnology or if an alternative catalysts other than platinum is found).

the advantage to this technology is that it will end dependance on oil or really any company for good.  since it is possible to generate the fuel to power such a vehicle in your own home, probably attach some solar panels to drive forth the process of electrolysis.  if on-board generation were possible to that would have little weight and would generate hydrogen in considerable amounts of pressure to generate the power necessary to power a car then i think that a fuel cell vehicles would have a strong market, now that the problems of storage would be solved and the range should be really really considerable.  my Solar Energy teacher once told me that the fuel cell that i had, a single cell, if provided by 1 Liter of water would run a very small engine from Miami to New York and back before the water was finished. 

that and fuel cells are the closest method of generating electricity i have ever seen, generating electricity in the ranges of 95-99% efficiency for a PEM fuel cell. 

I think that the brighest future is seen in another kind of alternative fuel.  perhaps Ethanol, some technology has been seen in this field, such as bacteria that dissintigrate organic materials into proof-199 ethanol that is able to be used on vehicles. 
currently a student attending high school in South Florida, capital of all the hurricanes that come through the US, and the sunshine state.  My interests falls into electrochemistry going to renewable resources of energy, i like hydrogen fuel cells and solar energy

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2006, 08:51:32 AM »
the mini nuclear reactor is clearly the best option. it gives off the most power, has the most potential, however, we only need a way to harness that much power, or convert it to a micro-scale. maybe a nuclear submarine type device only miniature.

Offline Equi

• chef de cuisine
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +20/-11
  • Und nach mir die Sintflut
    • miketionary
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2006, 01:49:56 PM »
Biodiesel
Quite agressive stuff - attacks all gaskets.
I'm not suffering from a mental disease - I'm enjoying it.
miketionary

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2006, 06:44:21 PM »
Imagine every car on the road with a mini-nuclear reactor in it. I think we'd of hit nuclear armageddon by now.  ;)

I like driving on empty back roads. No cops and lots of turns = fun. I've been playing Gran Turismo games since I was like 8. I treat turns as if I were racing usually.

I bet within the next 10-15 years we may start to see hydrogen fuel cell cars come down to semi-reasonable prices. By that I mean like $30-50K USD. Then the prices will just continue to drop until they're reasonable for the average person to by.

I think the biggest hurdle to getting people to switch to hydrogen, U.S. atleast, will be acceptance of a vehicle with less power in some cases. I love V8 engines personally although they're pigs on gas.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2006, 06:47:03 PM »
im a fan of four cylinders. probably because i drive one :P but it does get 25 mpg even the way i drive, i have a very heavy foot. no, i don't slow down for turns.

I like driving on empty back roads. No cops and lots of turns = fun. I've been playing Gran Turismo games since I was like 8. I treat turns as if I were racing usually.

what kind of car do you drive?

Sponsored Links