April 28, 2024, 11:30:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Omeprazole acidity  (Read 3464 times)

Offline GeLe5000

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Omeprazole acidity
« on: November 08, 2015, 12:35:35 PM »
Hello.

Does someone know what is responsible for the low pKa of Omeprazole (2,8 on Wikipedia, French page) ? It's lower than chloroacetic acid !

In vain I look at the molecular structure, I can't see where from these protons can come ?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Omeprazole acidity
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 12:47:29 PM »
There's a detailed explanation right here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omeprazole#Chemistry

Furthermore, in the structure you have pictured, do you see some hydrogens that should be very eager to leave?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline GeLe5000

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 02:08:34 PM »
That's the point, I don't see any proton eager to leave. There's one on a Nitrogen, but it would leave a negative charge on it. And then ? It is not explained on the Wikipedia page. If a delocalization of the charge follows, I don't see what structure it will give.
Or would the molecule react with hydroxyl ions present in water and displace the reaction   2 H2O -> H3O+ + OH- ?
Since there's no pKa value given on the English Wikipedia page, I wonder if the value given on the French page is not erroneous.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 04:38:40 PM »
The H3CO- groups, how are they holding together?

[ETA] I see I though those groups had a different structure than the wikipedia molecule suggests.  However, there are some resonance structures in the wikipedia article that suggest how H+ can be held.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline GeLe5000

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 08:46:46 AM »
I measured the pH from a capsule containing 40 mg Omeprazole. At a concentration of 1,4 10-3 M (the solubility limit in water), with a pKa = 2,8, the pH should be 3. With a universal indicator I get 6-7. Thus it is not the acid I thought it was.

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 09:05:36 AM »
OK, i'm unfamiliar with the french language version of wikipedia. This source:

http://capsugel.com/media/library/formulation-of-proton-pump-inhibitors.pdf

gives two plausible pka values for omeprazole of 3.98 and 8.7, for deprotonation of the protonated pyridinium and benzimidazolium respectively. i.e. it isn't neutral omeprazole that has a low pH, rather it is its various protonated conjugate acids that form when it is placed in a protic environment.

Hope this makes sense.

Offline GeLe5000

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 11:44:42 AM »
Thank you clarkstill.

The lowest pKa is 4, instead of 2,8. That's a big difference. Moreover I read a solubility of 0,15 mg/l instead of 0,5 mg/l on the French Wikipedia page. That's also a big difference. I'll be more careful with Wikipédia, in the case of sophisticated molecules.

Sponsored Links