March 28, 2024, 04:54:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Method for transformation of short duplex DNA into E. coli  (Read 3559 times)

Offline zs3889

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Method for transformation of short duplex DNA into E. coli
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:32:37 PM »
I'm trying to deliver short duplex DNA (10-15 base pairs) into E. coli cells. While I have found numerous methods for transformation of plasmid DNA into E. coli, I have yet to find one where a short duplex DNA is delivered into bacterial cells. Most of these methods involve techniques such as electroporation and heat shock transformation, I was wondering if the same could be done with a short duplex DNA, instead of plasmid DNA.

Thanks!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Method for transformation of short duplex DNA into E. coli
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 07:25:50 AM »
The methods you've described, and others, will transfer DNA into cells.  Whether it will be integrated into the genome, and then expressed, instead of digested to raw materials, is up for grabs.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline zs3889

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 06:26:36 PM »
The methods you've described, and others, will transfer DNA into cells.  Whether it will be integrated into the genome, and then expressed, instead of digested to raw materials, is up for grabs.

Thanks! The purpose of this delivery is not for integration and expression. Good point on the digestion! We have made modifications on our duplex with supposedly higher resistance against nuclease digestion and we would like to test our hypothesis by delivering into cells.

Offline Jefke

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 07:10:25 AM »

Thanks! The purpose of this delivery is not for integration and expression. Good point on the digestion! We have made modifications on our duplex with supposedly higher resistance against nuclease digestion and we would like to test our hypothesis by delivering into cells.
Being curious: what is your goal or purpose ?

Sponsored Links