April 26, 2024, 05:56:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: SOLUBILITY OF STRONG ACIDS IN STRONG BASES AND...  (Read 2742 times)

Offline mana

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
SOLUBILITY OF STRONG ACIDS IN STRONG BASES AND...
« on: November 07, 2015, 03:21:35 PM »
Hi all
why strong acids are soluble in strong bases but not in weak bases or vice versa is it because of their equilibrium to H+ and OH- respectively which cause H2O formation or some thing else ???
thanks for your help

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: SOLUBILITY OF STRONG ACIDS IN STRONG BASES AND...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »
I think you may be confused about the term solubility.  Strong acids are soluble in weak bases.  Think about hydrochloric acid and ammonia, for example.

Offline mana

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »
I think you may be confused about the term solubility.  Strong acids are soluble in weak bases.  Think about hydrochloric acid and ammonia, for example.
:'( :'( :'(
I'm trying to learn identification of organic compounds with comparing their solubility, in the table of solubility I have seen that for example a carboxylic acid (a weak acid) is soluble in basic mediums such as NaHCo3 or NaOH I can't understand why it is soluble and I can't understand the relationship btw the strength of an acid and it's solubility in a strong or weak base?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 01:07:57 PM »
Which is more soluble in water, benzoic acid or sodium benzoate (its conjugate base)?  Is NaOH strong enough to remove a proton from benzoic acid?  Is bicarbonate strong enough to remove a proton from benzoic acid.

Offline mana

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 02:01:32 PM »
sodium benzoate is a salt and it is soluble in water, you mean the base which can remove proton from the acid can solve it and if the base was unable it can not solve that acid. am I right that always in the equilibrium of an acid and a base, a strong acid can be in equlibrium with a weak base or vice versa? :P

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 02:42:20 PM »
The reactions of a strong acid with a weak base or of a strong base with a weak acid both proceed to completion.  If a base can remove a proton from benzoic acid, then it forms benzoate, and one has to ask in which solvents is benzoate soluble.

Offline mana

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 12:37:16 PM »
thanks very much :D :D :D

Sponsored Links