April 27, 2024, 01:04:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis and distillation of chromyl chloride  (Read 5730 times)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Synthesis and distillation of chromyl chloride
« on: April 27, 2006, 01:56:35 PM »
To cut a long story short, I decided to do some fiddling about with the Etard rxn, and did a nano-scale run using toluene, on the scale of a few hundred mg in total of CrO2Cl2, prepared in situ from conc. H2SO4 dripped onto a mixture of NaCl and ammonium dichromate, yum, tell-tale whiff of benzaldehyde.

Question is, I intend on upping the scale a little, and I am not at all sure how chromyl chloride is going to react on distillation, boiling point is listed at 117 C, although I don't know what, if any temperature it decomposes at, and what is going to happen to plastic tubing it would be distilled through.

Anyone with more experience handling the stuff than I do care to comment? I am more worried about how it will react with the tubing, than anything else, I should be able to distill it over into the recieving flask no problem, but I have no glass tubing, only plastic, at the moment.

Might just have to expose a cm. or so of tubing, and see if it gets raped or not :P
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Synthesis and distillation of chromyl chloride
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 07:49:39 PM »

Might just have to expose a cm. or so of tubing, and see if it gets raped or not :P

Interesting way to phrase it. Reminds me of my hold Halo days when I'd completely own people. Some people would call rape on me after I completely slaughtered them. To bad I lost my copy of the game.  :(
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Re: Synthesis and distillation of chromyl chloride
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 08:44:01 PM »
I think theres a couple of hosts uploaded it to limewire ;)
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Sponsored Links