April 25, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Natural Compound Synthetic Feedback  (Read 7441 times)

Offline beardy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Natural Compound Synthetic Feedback
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:44:59 PM »
Final assignment was a synthetic project. I was tasked with synthesizing the following compound starting from a 4-carbon chain or less.

This is my proposed synthesis. I don't know if the original beta-lactone reactant will appropriately react with the acetoacetic ester through a 1,4 michael addition because of the attached halogen. I don't know if this even matters. Feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,
beardy

O=C(OC)C12CCC3(C1)C(=O)OC3CC2=O<br />

Offline beardy

Re: Natural Compound Synthetic Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 02:56:01 AM »
Update

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 09:48:04 AM »
I think you are running into a lot of problems. As I just looked at this, what would happen if you coupled acetoacetate and malonate with the appropriate chains and treated that product with LDA?
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline beardy

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 10:43:40 AM »
I noticed that too. I think the followup synthesis fixed that issue.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:35:37 PM by beardy »

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 03:35:39 PM »
You are still making this harder than it needs to be. I doubt you will be able to make the ortho ester and do a Michael addition to it. That won't be necessary. I think the connections can be made whether through a direct alkylation or Michael addition. If you reverse the steps, Michael addition is no longer necessary. You can use ethoxide with malonate or acetoacetate.

I hadn't thought through about a reduction needed. However, I think you are correct that doing it from an enol will give the correct oxidation state. If this is made into an alcohol, then you just need to finish with a lactonization.

I would suggest leaving the lactone formation to the end as it may be difficult to maintain it in your intermediate reactions.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline beardy

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 04:11:34 PM »
Thanks for your input.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 09:43:55 PM »
Surely that enol is an anti-Bredt structure and as such won't be formed?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 11:55:56 PM »
Fact: β-lactones are almost identically as stable as δ-lactones  http://euch6f.chem.emory.edu/ringclosurekinetics.html

Offline beardy

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 01:12:15 AM »
 Am I wrong to use these initial reactants?  The michael acceptor is symmetrical, so am I able to use 1 equivalent of methoxide/base? Does it even matter? Would ring strain truly open the lactone during the course of the reaction? Can I use two 2 equiv of LDA in the second step?

Offline beardy

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 01:12:39 AM »
Fact: β-lactones are almost identically as stable as δ-lactones  http://euch6f.chem.emory.edu/ringclosurekinetics.html

Ty for source

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 10:15:03 AM »

I only skimmed this reference, so perhaps I missed the stability issue. I did see the rates of formation were the same, but I didn't see the rates of reaction. This would be my intuitive thinking. The ring strains should be similar for the lactams and therefore if this predicted stability, they should be similar. Yet we know the beta-lactams are nature's acylating agents while the others are not.

If the lactones should be even more reactive, then carrying a beta-lactone through several synthetic steps could be a problem.

Obviously, the paper shows that if lactone formation were planned at a late stage, the rates and yields would not be limited.

@Beardy
Will the malonate anhydride be stable to NaOMe?

Offline beardy

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 10:43:50 AM »
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja301867s

Abstract:
"Malonic anhydrides decompose at or below room temperature, to form a ketene and carbon dioxide."
"Methylmalonic anhydride is the fastest, with the lowest ΔH⧧, and dimethylmalonic anhydride is the slowest."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems like the malonic anhydride is sensitive to water. Could use LDA instead? Maybe I could change one of the carbonyls on the malonic anhydride to something else

Patent abstract: http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pages/US4360691-0.png
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:14:33 AM by beardy »

Offline Shadow

• Mole Snacks: +5/-11
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 11:35:21 AM »
I would abandon the malonic anhydride route as the anhydride is unstable. I would rather suggest this:

-the starting reagent could be made from a condensation with glyoxal
-the reduction after iodolactonzation could happen with Bu3SnH maybe

Offline beardy

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 11:47:39 AM »
Thanks for your input Shadow. I appreciate the proposed synthesis. I'm trying to understand the 1st step and iodolactonization/CHN2

Offline Shadow

• Mole Snacks: +5/-11
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 11:52:09 AM »
Iodolactonization is a versatile reaction for synthesizing lactones. DA is for Diels-Alder. (4+2 cycloaddition).

Sponsored Links