April 26, 2024, 09:26:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need Help with Chem experiment ideas  (Read 14062 times)

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
Re: Need Help with Chem experiment ideas
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 11:28:10 PM »
But is it the same reaction as the thermite reaction? I was just wondering what the science behind it was, ie what is the significance of the rust (iron oxide) and aluminum foil? Sounds like the same ingredients for thermite to me.. :)
to make thermite you have to get it really hot right, so just hitting the two isn't going to cause the violence of a true thermite reaction with outrageous amounts of heat and such, ingredients are the same, but the reaction isn't the same, im thinking it has something to do with activation energy. i don't know, what do you think?
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline syko sykes

• Mole Snacks: +12/-10
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006, 11:33:17 PM »
not exactly sure on the reaction and why it causes a spark without being a true thermite reaction as mrdeadman said... i just remember doing the experiment in class and seeing a few people jump when it sparked

if you're looking for visual appeal i wouldn't pick that one out of the one's I (or anyone else) posted. if someone else wanted to offer some insight on the reaction that would be great though ;)
AP Chemistry Squad Member [V]

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 11:36:08 PM »
here's a good read, peanut butter, haha. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 11:39:54 PM »

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 12:09:36 AM »
I have done the thermite reaction loads of times and I light it with permanganate and glycerin and Mg. I think you would find that knocking the two spheres together would provide more than enough energy for the reaction. I reckon it is the thermite reaction on a small and quick scale.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline Organishe

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 01:44:43 AM »
The KClO4 and gummy bear reaction is awesome.  I think the largest safety concern is the bunsen burner, so long as you only have small amounts of the perchlorate around. (you can do it with perhaps a gram, maybe less.  Plus, when you get the gummy bear to shoot across the room, jaws will drop  ;D

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 10:10:27 AM »
The KClO4 and gummy bear reaction is awesome.  I think the largest safety concern is the bunsen burner, so long as you only have small amounts of the perchlorate around. (you can do it with perhaps a gram, maybe less.  Plus, when you get the gummy bear to shoot across the room, jaws will drop  ;D
I agree.  It's an INCREDIBLY impressive reaction that you can do on a VERY small scale and still get very large results.  It sounds like a jet-engine/blow-torch combination when you drop the gummy bear into the molten KClO3.  (BTW, it's KClO3 that is used and not KClO4.  Remember, it's potassium chlorate and not perchlorate).
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 04:05:08 AM »
I have done the thermite reaction loads of times and I light it with permanganate and glycerin and Mg. I think you would find that knocking the two spheres together would provide more than enough energy for the reaction. I reckon it is the thermite reaction on a small and quick scale.

One wonders if this is more like flint striking steel to get a spark.
My understanding is that Thermit reactions are very dependent on concentration of each of the constituents.

I would hope you practice any classroom demonstration before hand with someone watching at a distance in case of problems.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 04:09:33 AM by billnotgatez »

Sponsored Links