June 15, 2024, 10:29:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Triglyceride of 3-hydroxybutyrate from ethyl-3-hydroxybutyrate  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Doctor Ten

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Triglyceride of 3-hydroxybutyrate from ethyl-3-hydroxybutyrate
« on: December 09, 2015, 09:44:34 AM »
Hi all,

I am new to this forum, so I hope this is the right section for my question.

During my internship (Masters degree Toxicology & Molecular Nutrition) I am working on the synthesis of new biolipids.

Currently, I am looking for a simple and effective way for the synthesis of triacylglycerols of beta- or 3-hydroxybutyrate. These triglycerides are water-soluble as compared to other triglycerides and can be incorporated in parenteral nutrition as an alternative to carbohydrates.
This (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9131681) article deals with the synthesis of such a compound, although acetoacetate is used as a precursor, whereas we'd rather want to use the ethyl ester of 3-hydroxybutyrate.

Is anyone of you familiar with such a reaction? Or could someone propose a way for doing so? Which enzymes/chemicals/pH/temperature do I use best? I see that fish oil EEs are commonly re-esterified into TAGs, but do the methods they use apply to pseudo-ketone bodies such as BHB as well?

Thanks in advance!
Pieter

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: Triglyceride of 3-hydroxybutyrate from ethyl-3-hydroxybutyrate
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 07:26:21 PM »
so you want to convert one ester into another ester ..check for trans esterification reaction .

Sponsored Links