April 25, 2024, 06:08:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: MEK resistant footwear  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Duke Nukem

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
MEK resistant footwear
« on: December 15, 2015, 09:58:33 AM »
I started a new job and need some advice. I work at a printing press with several different chemicals, the main one being methyl ethyl ketone (hereafter MEK). We use it for everything, including cleaning parts in buckets and large vats, using it to thin dyes and glues, and even mopping the floor. Needless to say, there's often a layer of it on the floors in some places (though it does dry quickly), so I end up stepping in it a lot. It's dissolving the soles of my regular work boots, making them slippery.

So, I decided that I want to buy a pair of work boots with chemical resistant soles. Red wing is supposed to make good ones, but I don't want to spend $250 if they're not going to work for my specific chemical problem. They told me that they test for sulfuric acid, sodium hydroxide, and diesel fuel, but not solvents. They also mentioned that their soles are usually urethane/polyurethane and rubber combinations. I'm trying to find out the composition of the specific one I'm interested in, and will update if I do. Does anyone know if such a combination could resist MEK? I've never studied organic chemistry, so I don't know much about solvents.

Also, if this topic fits better somewhere else, let me know and I'll post it there instead.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: MEK resistant footwear
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 01:50:11 PM »
Many footwear companies make solvent resistant soles for their work boots. If what you have doesn't resist, you can always take them to a cobbler, and have the resoled with solvent  resistant soles.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Duke Nukem

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 08:53:48 AM »
That's a good point. The shoes I'm looking at are resoleable, so I can at least replace the soles periodically if that's truly the only solution. Durability is one thing, I could definitely do without the slipperiness that comes with having MEK on your soles, though. Particularly as we're moving into the winter months with snow and ice coming. Do you know if they even make any solvent resistant soles that can withstand MEK? The Red Wings I'm looking at claim the best chemical resistance out of their lineup, but that may or may not mean anything for me, as far as I know. I'm not sure why this was moved to education since it doesn't seem related.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:45:23 AM »
The move confuses lots of people:) basically,  looking for a job, or interviewing for a job, or learning how to dress for a job generally go here in Chemical Education.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links