April 24, 2024, 07:19:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acid-base reactions  (Read 2065 times)

Offline mirox

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Acid-base reactions
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:43:33 PM »
The problem: A sample containing Na2HPO4 and NaH2PO4 · 2H2O weighs 2.15 g. The sample was dissolved in 30 mL HCl (0.1 molar). The excess of HCl is titrated with 8.75 mL NaOH (0.2 molar), using methyl orange as an indicator. Find percent composition of the mixture (by mass).

Attempt: If both the hydrogen- and dihydrogen phosphate are fully protonated to phosphoric  acid. After calculations, this proves not to be logical, as I get a negative result... Also, this approach (which my professor wants) does not make sense to me, as titration with sodium hydroxide solution would lead to deprotonation of phosphoric acid itself, making it impossible to calculate anything.

So the way I approach this is that I can think of it in this manner: upon addition of excess diluted HCl, this happens only:
HPO42- + H+  ::equil:: H2PO4-
As the value for this constant it 1/Ka2 = 1.6exp7, you can say the reaction is quantitative, and the existing H2PO4- ion do not interfere the equlibrium.  Basically, it was a fictive buffer all until dissolved in the mineral acid. As methyl orange was used as an indicator, the end point of the titration is when the excess HCl has reacted, so the quantity of hydrogen phosphate ions is: 0.03 mL * 0,1 M -  0.00875 mL * 0.2 M = 0.00125 mol, so the mass of Na2HPO4 is 0.1775 g, which is 8.26%.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Acid-base reactions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 02:28:59 PM »
Methyl orange changes color around pH 4, so yes - at the endpoint solution contains mostly H2PO4-.

Not that I checked the numbers, but the logic looks OK.

It would be interesting to estimate possible errors - for example, at pH 4.0 around 1.4% of the acid is in the H3PO4 form. Does it change the result? By how much?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mirox

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 04:54:38 PM »
Thank you Borex, your answer is much appreciated, as always. I see what you mean. I don't have the time to do the math now, but yes I see where you are trying to go with this. However, my professor will not accept my answer. I have asked for the solution, but she wants me to figure it out on my own. I am lost, as I have no idea what I should do. She claims that both ions are fully protonated to phosphoric acid. But the numbers don't add up...

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 08:47:15 AM »
This can be a little bit difficult to follow, but I have checked what would be the pH of a solution prepared by mixing 0.1775 g of Na2HPO4, 1.972 g of NaH2PO4·2H2O (these are results of your calculations), 30 mL of 0.1 M HCl, 8.75 mL of 0.2 M NaOH, and diluted to 100 mL.

Buffer Maker calculated the pH to be around 4.4, which perfectly fits the idea of the methyl orange endpoint and confirms your calculations fit the information given.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links