April 20, 2024, 02:07:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: an acid question.  (Read 3713 times)

Blonde

an acid question.
« on: June 03, 2006, 09:07:24 PM »
Which is the weakest acid?

H3BO3, Ka= 6 x 10 [-10]
H2S, Ka= 9 x 10 [-8]
CH3COOH, Ka= 2 x 10 [-5]
H3PO4, Ka= 7 x 10 [-3]

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
Re: an acid question.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 09:09:44 PM »
What do you think is the weakest acid?
Remember- the lower the Ka, the weaker the acid.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: an acid question.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 10:43:36 PM »
Ref: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=9037.0
4.) Please show that you've at least attempted the problem.  We don't mind helping you solve problems but we are ethically opposed to doing homework for you. Violators will have their topic deleted or locked.

6.) Saying something like, "I don't get kinetics can you explain it to me?", or "My teacher sucks can you explain quantum mechanics?" will get you no responses on this forum. It's not that we don't want to help you; it’s that your question is too broad. You need to have very concise questions about kinetics or quantum mechanics in order for us to help you.

I almost locked this thread because of the above cited reason.

HA <-> H+ + A-
Ka = [ H+ ] [ A- ] / [ HA ]

Since Ka is the ratio of the product of concentration of the product to that of the reactants, than the higher the value of Ka, the more likely the acid dissociates to produce H+ ions in solution. Hence, the higher the value of Ka, the stronger it is as an acid.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links