February 28, 2020, 05:53:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Copper Sulfate Crystal Growing Issue  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Ruloveit

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • Phazed
Copper Sulfate Crystal Growing Issue
« on: December 14, 2015, 02:37:56 PM »
Hello everyone! My name is Mark and im new onthis forum as well as chemistry. I started studying chemistry on my own a while ago and i am fascinated by all the thimgs you can do. I am a person that gets bored easily, so parallel to studying i want to do some experiments myself. I looked on the web and found a guy who grew crystals out of copper sulfate powder. I wanted to make some so bad so i gave ita try. I started with plain salt which ended up miserably...nocrystal growth. 5 days ago i tried it with copper sulfate. I heated a cup of water, poured it into a glass then added the copper sulfate until nomore could dissolve. I filtered the solution to a jar and left it to grow the seed crystals at the bottom. Imagine some very fined sand mixed with water. This mixture was there instead of the seeds. I left it for 2 more days but nothing happened. I can't find a solution to my problem and it's making me angry...! Is there anyone who can help me? Sorry if this is posted on a wrong section! Thank you in advance!
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behaviour and information processing. They open you up to the possibility that everything you know is wrong.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +130/-44
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Copper Sulfate Crystal Growing Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 04:55:47 AM »
You have to dissolve about 200g per liter of the salt you get a saturated solution this let stay about several days to weeks, until the solution is evyporate slowly. You will find the first small cristalss. You pick a nice one and immerse it again in a new solution of coppersulfate. The cristall will now grow slowly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper%28II%29_sulfate#/media/File:Copper_sulfate.jpg

More nice cristalls you get with potash alum. Pottassium-aluminium-sulfate-12-hydrate

http://chemistry.about.com/od/moleculescompounds/f/What-Is-Alum.htm

Offline Ruloveit

• Phazed
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 12:44:19 PM »
Thank you for your answer! I did the experiment again. I filtrated the solution 3 times to make there are as less impurities as possible. I forgot to mention that the water i am using is tap water. I will try it with distilled later on. Question: if i place the seed at the bottom of the container...won't therr be more crystals? Or it will only be one constantly getting bigger?

I will try to find the potassium alum and try that one too!
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behaviour and information processing. They open you up to the possibility that everything you know is wrong.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +130/-44
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
There will  be again more crystalls. To get a clean onecrystall, you have to remove them several times.

Offline Ruloveit

• Phazed
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:58:08 AM »
Can't i just tie him with a rope? I have seen lots of videos and everything seems to be so easy...but in reality it's much harder.

Sponsored Links