March 28, 2024, 05:57:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Copper Sulfate Crystal Growing Issue  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Ruloveit

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Copper Sulfate Crystal Growing Issue
« on: December 14, 2015, 02:37:56 PM »
Hello everyone! My name is Mark and im new onthis forum as well as chemistry. I started studying chemistry on my own a while ago and i am fascinated by all the thimgs you can do. I am a person that gets bored easily, so parallel to studying i want to do some experiments myself. I looked on the web and found a guy who grew crystals out of copper sulfate powder. I wanted to make some so bad so i gave ita try. I started with plain salt which ended up miserably...nocrystal growth. 5 days ago i tried it with copper sulfate. I heated a cup of water, poured it into a glass then added the copper sulfate until nomore could dissolve. I filtered the solution to a jar and left it to grow the seed crystals at the bottom. Imagine some very fined sand mixed with water. This mixture was there instead of the seeds. I left it for 2 more days but nothing happened. I can't find a solution to my problem and it's making me angry...! Is there anyone who can help me? Sorry if this is posted on a wrong section! Thank you in advance!

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Copper Sulfate Crystal Growing Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 04:55:47 AM »
You have to dissolve about 200g per liter of the salt you get a saturated solution this let stay about several days to weeks, until the solution is evyporate slowly. You will find the first small cristalss. You pick a nice one and immerse it again in a new solution of coppersulfate. The cristall will now grow slowly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper%28II%29_sulfate#/media/File:Copper_sulfate.jpg

More nice cristalls you get with potash alum. Pottassium-aluminium-sulfate-12-hydrate

http://chemistry.about.com/od/moleculescompounds/f/What-Is-Alum.htm

Offline Ruloveit

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 12:44:19 PM »
Thank you for your answer! I did the experiment again. I filtrated the solution 3 times to make there are as less impurities as possible. I forgot to mention that the water i am using is tap water. I will try it with distilled later on. Question: if i place the seed at the bottom of the container...won't therr be more crystals? Or it will only be one constantly getting bigger?

I will try to find the potassium alum and try that one too!

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
There will  be again more crystalls. To get a clean onecrystall, you have to remove them several times.

Offline Ruloveit

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:58:08 AM »
Can't i just tie him with a rope? I have seen lots of videos and everything seems to be so easy...but in reality it's much harder.

Sponsored Links