April 29, 2024, 11:12:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why is salt needed for electrolysis of water?  (Read 5866 times)

Offline mikasaur

• Mole Snacks: +27/-1
  • Chemist in training
Why is salt needed for electrolysis of water?
« on: December 15, 2015, 03:59:59 PM »
Hello all.

I'm starting to learn about electrochemistry and I want to make sure I fully understand the concept of electrolysis and electrolytic cells.

For the electrolysis of H2O into H2 and O2 I understand that we have the two half-reactions:

[itex]\ce{2H+(aq) + 2e- -> H2(g)} \;\;\;\; \textrm{E}_{\textrm{red}}^{\circ} = 0.0 \textrm{ V}[/itex]
[itex]\ce{2H2O(l) -> O2(g) + 4H+(aq) + 4e-} \;\;\;\; \textrm{E}_{\textrm{ox}}^{\circ} = -1.23 \textrm{ V}[/itex]

I have this mental model in my head where the reduction reaction at the cathode is being supplied electrons by the power source and the oxidation reaction at the anode is supplying electrons that are "sucked up" by the power source (and transferred to the cathode).

What I don't understand is why a salt like NaCl is required. I know the conductivity of water is poor, but why does it need to conduct electricity? Isn't the circuit completed by the ionic current of the H+ ions?

Could it be that the conditions local to each of the electrodes change enough to make the half reactions more and more unfavorable (which NaCl somehow helps with)?

Any help in understanding would be very appreciated! Thank you all!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:24:23 PM by mikasaur »
Or you could, you know, Google it.

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Why is salt needed for electrolysis of water?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 04:55:25 PM »
I wonder if NaOH would be better than NaCl in understanding this context.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »
why does it need to conduct electricity? Isn't the circuit completed by the ionic current of the H+ ions?

It is. But there are so few of them the resistance is very high (ultrapure water has a specific resistivity of about 18 MΩm). High resistance means low currents and pretty slow electrolysis.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mikasaur

• Chemist in training
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 07:05:05 PM »
Thanks for the answers!

I wonder if NaOH would be better than NaCl in understanding this context.

So with a basic solution there's gonna be a LOT more OH- than there would otherwise be with pure water.

Looking up the half reactions in a basic solution I see:

[itex]\ce{2H2O(l) + 2e- -> H2(g) + 2OH- (aq)}[/itex]
[itex]\ce{4OH- (aq) -> O2(g) + 2H2O(l) + 4e-}[/itex]

So the high amount of OH- will allow this to happen way more often than pure water with barely any H+. I see that. And I can see how HCl would do something similar. But NaCl doesn't change the pH like these strong base/acids would. I'm still not sure how IT would help as far as providing more H+/OH-.

why does it need to conduct electricity? Isn't the circuit completed by the ionic current of the H+ ions?

It is. But there are so few of them the resistance is very high (ultrapure water has a specific resistivity of about 18 MΩm). High resistance means low currents and pretty slow electrolysis.

Right. Maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly why this helps, though. By reducing the resistance in the water, what I imagine happening is that electrons can flow through the water from the cathode to the anode. But if these electrons are just going through the water, they're not actually contributing to the process of electrolysis. That is, every electron leaving the cathode on its way to the anode is one electron that would have otherwise reduced a hydrogen to H2. And every electron that makes its way to the anode is one fewer electron that oxygen would have given up to oxidize to O2.

To put it even further, if 100. A of current is being supplied by my power source and 99 A goes through the salt water, that only leaves 1 A of current actually contributing to the electrolysis.

I'm guessing my mental model of electrons going through the water is incorrect.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 07:18:48 PM »
NaCl change pH of solution during electrolysis. Mainly H2 and Cl2 instead of O2 are formed.
AWK

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 08:21:14 PM »
@mikasaur
We have had many threads on this forum discussing electrolysis and electrolysis of brine
There is many entries about both on WIKI

Offline mikasaur

• Chemist in training
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 08:37:24 PM »
@mikasaur
We have had many threads on this forum discussing electrolysis and electrolysis of brine
There is many entries about both on WIKI

Fair enough. I thought I did due diligence by searching Google and Wikipedia, but I could have searched the forums a bit better. Seems there were a few questions asked that were semi-related.

This post is asking exactly what I'm asking. And it seems like the answer is "it's complicated", at least for someone who is still learning the basics. 

Thanks all.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 09:50:53 PM »
A really simple explanation for why you need an electrolyte for electrochemical processes is that plain water doesn't have enough conductivity to "complete a circuit". Oxidation and reduction can take place at the respective electrodes but without a medium to help the charges diffuse away from the electrode, charges build up at the electrodes and it takes progressively more energy for more oxidation and reduction events to take place. The electrolyte substantially increases the electron mobility (or the diffusion rate of charges) to prevent this charge buildup. For basically the same reason, a salt bridge is crucial in a simple voltaic cell battery.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline mikasaur

• Chemist in training
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 12:48:57 AM »
Thanks, Corribus, that actually makes a lot of sense!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 02:45:18 AM »
By reducing the resistance in the water, what I imagine happening is that electrons can flow through the water from the cathode to the anode.

It is not electrons that go through the water, but ions.

But if these electrons are just going through the water, they're not actually contributing to the process of electrolysis.

Transfer of electrons happens on the phase boundary (electrode surface) only, and its passage through the phase boundary requires an electrode reaction. Then the charge is transferred through the bulk of the solution by ions. You can think about it as if the electrode and the solution were put in series - current going through each part is exactly the same.

Hence, if you have a high resistivity of the solution, you can't obtain reasonably large currents during electrolysis without applying some pretty high voltages.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mikasaur

• Chemist in training
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 02:17:16 PM »
Thanks, Borek! The idea of connecting the electrodes and solution in series really hammers the idea home. Combine that with Billnotgatez's suggestion to think about NaOH rather than NaCl and I think I have a pretty good understanding.

Enjoy the mole snacks!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »
In industrial electrolysis (pure H2 production) KOH solution is the best.
AWK

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 07:49:47 AM »
To put it even further, if 100. A of current is being supplied by my power source and 99 A goes through the salt water, that only leaves 1 A of current actually contributing to the electrolysis.

The current in the electrolyte moves every ion present, and these reach the electrodes. What happens nexts depends on the nature of each ion. Some may evolve out of the cell when they get neutralized, others react immediately with the electrolyte to make something else.

As an example, Na+ being neutralized reacts with water, so you obtain H2 rather than sodium. The detailed process may even not need neutral Na at any time.

An other example is Cl- which, unless you take special precautions, makes much NaClO when you electrolyze brine.

And unless your electrodes are very inert chemically, the most common reaction is their destruction by the very reactive species produced there. For instance, Cl2 molecules appear in steps since Cl- arrive individually at the electrode, and these steps may include a metal chloride layer that reacts with further Cl atoms to make Cl2 - but only if the metal chloride doesn't dissolve before.

Sponsored Links