April 23, 2024, 08:25:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which of these reactions would produce tert-butylbenzene in high yield?  (Read 6318 times)

matt105

Hey guys. I've been studying for the ACS final for Organic Chemistry (Biochem major here). Anyway, I just ran into this problem in the study guide. I don't know why this reaction would not occur. Here is the question

"Which of these reactions would produce tert-butylbenzene in high yield?

It then lists 4 reactions, and I knew the first one would occur, it was an electrophilic substitution of benzene with tert-butylchloride and aluminum chloride. The fourth one I knew would occur. But I don't understand why the second one wouldn't occur, and why the third would occur.

Here is the second one:
The reagents are benzene, 2-chlorobutane, and AlCl3 (lewis acid). I know this would give a carbocation on the second carbon of the butane chain, but why wouldn't a 1,2-methyl shift occur to give a tert-butyl carbocation? Am I just working this out wrongly in my head? That could definitely be the case  ;D Or maybe it just wouldn't occur enough for them to validate saying that it occurs in high yield?

here is the third one that I don't understand why it would occur.
Benzene, 2-methylpropanol, and H2SO4: Does the H2SO4 just protonate the alcohol, cause it to disscoiate, and that leaves a carbocation that rearranges to give tert-butyl carbocation?

Thanks for any help guys! And I apologize in advance for any incorrect terminology, but I believe I had all the names right.

edit: Sorry I forgot to mention that the answer was that the first, third, and fourth reaction would occur in high yield
Matt
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 08:25:01 PM by Mitch »

Offline wereworm73

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +21/-4
Re: Quick question - Studying for my final!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 07:17:25 PM »
For the 2nd one, a methyl shift would leave a positive charge on a primary carbon, which would make the carbocation unstable. 

As for the 3rd one, a hydrogen shift & loss of a water would leave you a stable t-butyl carbocation which can then electrophilically react with benzene.

matt105

Ok I dont know what I was thinking on the 2nd one. Too muh studying I guess, haha. The third one makes sense now, thanks.

Sponsored Links