April 20, 2024, 08:02:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acids and sulfates  (Read 5309 times)

Offline lk1982

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Acids and sulfates
« on: December 26, 2015, 05:43:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am writing a report on an experiment to determine whether a precipitate is a carbonate or a sulfate (in this case magnesium carbonate or sulphate). Nitric acid is made to react with the two precipitates, with the assumption that one will be dissolved by the acid, proving that it is the carbonate, and the other will not react and remain the same, proving that it is the sulphate.
Now I know how carbonates react with common lab acids to give a salt, water and carbon dioxide, as shown in the link below:

http://www.chemistryrules.me.uk/junior/acids.htm

However, I cannot find any information as to why the sulphate will not react with the nitric acid. Do sulphates simply not react with the common lab acids? Why do carbonates react but sulphates do not?

Thank you in advance!!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Acids and sulfates
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »
Do you know a difference between a strong and a weak acid?

Is carbonic acid stable, or does it easily decompose? Is sulfuric acid stable, or does it easily decompose?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline lk1982

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 02:07:43 PM »
Hi and thank you for taking the time to reply.
Rereading my question, I have noticed that the sulfate and carbonate are barium sulfate and carbonate (not magnesium).
So...

BaCO3 (s) + 2HNO3 (aq) > Ba(NO3)2 (aq) + CO2 (aq) + H2O (l)

and...

BaSO4 (s) + HNO3 (aq) > no reaction

Why are you asking about carbonic and sulfuric acid? I have found that the former is unstable while the latter is stable - how does this relate to the above? Sorry if I am being a little slow in following your reasoning but this is really the first chemistry I tackle in a really long time (15+ years).

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
Properties of acids and their salts are to some extent related.

You are right - one of the important differences between carbonic acid and sulfuric acid is that the former is unstable.

You have already wrote the almost correct reaction equation:

BaCO3 (s) + 2HNO3 (aq) > Ba(NO3)2 (aq) + CO2 (aq) + H2O (l)

Have you ever seen a reaction of any carbonate with a strong acid?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline lk1982

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 04:12:27 AM »
Hi Borek,

Yes, when reacted with nitric acid the barium carbonate in my sample fizzled and dissolved. What I do not understand and cannot find any information on is why this will not happen with the barium sulfate as well...

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 06:05:30 AM »
The lack od reaction is also a valuable information.

There is possibility to dissolve  a minute amount of BaSO4 in hot concentrated strong acids  (H2SO4 or HNO3). Needle shaped crystals of barium sulfate are formed after cooling. But this can be done only in good laboratory under hood.
AWK

Offline lk1982

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 09:27:48 AM »
Thank you, AWK!
If possible, could you please elaborate a little on why Ba(NO3)2 will readily dissolve in HNO3 whereas BaSO4 will not?? That is really the information that I am looking for.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »
Yes, when reacted with nitric acid the barium carbonate in my sample fizzled

What does this "fizzling" part mean - does the CO2 stay dissolved, or is it removed from the solution? If it is removed - can it still react with Ba2+ to form precipitate?

What I do not understand and cannot find any information on is why this will not happen with the barium sulfate as well...

This is the "stability" part - sulfuric acid is stable, carbonic is not. And I suggest at this level of knowledge you just accept this information without getting into details, as they will only further confuse you.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »
Thank you, AWK!
If possible, could you please elaborate a little on why Ba(NO3)2 will readily dissolve in HNO3 whereas BaSO4 will not?? That is really the information that I am looking for.
Read scrutinously Wikipedia or textbook about solubility
AWK

Offline lk1982

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 04:17:47 PM »

Thank you. As you are taking the time of day to reply to these messages for nothing in return I realize that it is not my place to complain, but the reason why I am asking on this forum is because I was unable to find - or possibly extrapolate - the information I required on wiki and on the two textbooks I consulted (British A level material).
I apologize if there is a forum rule in place that I have missed stipulating that you cannot answer my question directly. If you are aware of a particular text or resource that I could consult on the subject, I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline lk1982

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 04:20:15 PM »
This is the "stability" part - sulfuric acid is stable, carbonic is not. And I suggest at this level of knowledge you just accept this information without getting into details, as they will only further confuse you.

Aaah, the "accepting" part is sort of hard to do, but I see your point. Thanks again for your time!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 06:05:34 PM »

Thank you. As you are taking the time of day to reply to these messages for nothing in return I realize that it is not my place to complain, but the reason why I am asking on this forum is because I was unable to find - or possibly extrapolate - the information I required on wiki and on the two textbooks I consulted (British A level material).
I apologize if there is a forum rule in place that I have missed stipulating that you cannot answer my question directly. If you are aware of a particular text or resource that I could consult on the subject, I would greatly appreciate it.
The are at least two levels of explanation - in general chemistry we just use rules, and in physical chemistry we look more deeply in physical background.
In general chemistry we just compare solubility of compounds in water - Ba(NO3)2 is well soluble, and BaSO4 is very poor soluble.
Using HNO3 for both we should change level of our thinking - we should take into account thermodynamics, the common ion effect, ionic strength and possible equilibria in solution.
My corrections of printing errors
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:26:50 AM by AWK »
AWK

Offline lk1982

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 05:46:49 PM »
Thank you so much! I will look into what you have pointed out.

Sponsored Links