March 28, 2024, 01:34:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic vs Analytical: hard choice. Need advise!  (Read 14197 times)

Offline subro

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Organic vs Analytical: hard choice. Need advise!
« on: December 28, 2015, 07:06:31 PM »
Hello everyone. I’m a fourth (and last) grade student of chemistry degree and I’ve a dilemma about which post-degree I should do. On the one hand there is an organic chemistry post-degree and on the other hand an analytical chemistry post-degree. I know this is one of the most important choices of my whole life, because it’s going to affect my future, which job I’ll have and even the goals I’ll be able to get.

I know that obviously this is a personal choice, but I want to share it with all the people I can in order to get more experienced opinions and advices -that maybe I’ve unintentionally disregarded- so I can take my choice having more perspectives.

First of all, I want to tell you something about myself I have an average rating of 9.1/10 and I’m currently the student with the best marks of my year. I’m not trying to show off, but attempting to give you an idea about myself and the goals I am capable to get as a researcher. Let me explain it. During this year I’m working at an analytical research lab thanks to a state grant. I’m part of a research group centered on improving a screening method for PMOC’s in water using HPLC-QTOF. My plan is to repeat this experience at an organic research lab the next summer, so I can have both experiences lived by myself in order to take a better choice.

Now I’m going to tell you my opinion about the two branches I’m thinking about. Both of them have features in which I’m interested, each one at its own way.

Analytical chemistry: I’m interested in chromatography and mass spectrometry above all. I see in analytical chemistry a safe choice. I know there are many jobs for analytical chemists, and this would be an advantage if I want to form a family in the future. Also, it has an important green and environmentalist part biggest than the one present in the organic chemistry. I’ll be glad to know that because of my job it was easier to find out pollutants, so the environment would be a better place. Besides, analytical chemists are usually open to establish a conversation, they seem more sociable. In my school’s cafe there are always a group of them chatting in a lively way. Also, in the lab where I’m working there are good vibes among all of us. I think this social part is due to the long dead times between measurements. In my opinion, there is always a kind work environment.

I see basically two disadvantages on analytical chemistry. On the one hand, I think it’s a pretty monotonous job, and sometimes it turns out even a bit boring. Data treatment isn’t a very stimulating task, and measurements are performed automatically by the system. On the other hand, I think studying analytical chemistry would be a waste of my capabilities -and I don’t mean to offend anyone with this comment. I think anybody who has a chemistry degree is capable to understand the basics of chromatography and use this information. Also, I would like to achieve something important in my life; maybe not winning a Nobel Prize but to be recognized among the chemistry world. All that seems to be more difficult through the analytical pathway. In my opinion, analytical chemistry is more oriented towards the capitalist world -making money- rather than the research world.

Organic chemistry: Inside this category I’m interested in biochemistry and synthetic chemistry. This choice complements the analytical chemistry, so its advantages are the disadvantages of analytical chemistry. On the one hand, I can use my capabilities to achieve some accomplishments in the chemistry world and to win some prizes. On the other hand, despite organic chemistry has also monotonous parts like solving NMRs or purifying products, I think the main part of it - thinking about several pathways to get a product in a few steps with getting good yields- is very exciting. Organic chemistry is like a system -as maths, for example- and this rewards the knowledge because, hypothetically, if you have learned and know many reactions and mechanisms, you will be able to solve your problems more easily.

The disadvantages are, like before, the advantages of analytical chemistry. On the one hand, most of the organic chemists I met are very serious, boring, obsessed with work and without humor sense -again, not pretending to offend anyone. I’m not a party-lover, but I would like to work in a kind environment, above all, because I will spend many hours of my own life with my coworkers. A job is always nicer when you share that time with sociable, friendly people. On the other hand, organic chemistry is a risky choice: public research depends on funding. If I don’t achieve some accomplishments, I could be fired and, if I want to form a family in the future, this would probably be a problem.

And now is your turn. What do you think about my impressions? Do you have any experiences or advises to share with me in order to help me on make a better decision?

Thank you kindly for your time.

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
Re: Organic vs Analytical: hard choice. Need advise!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 03:05:54 AM »
I think you're comparing the two fields on a different level. Both fields are interesting if you're developing new stuff, both are rather boring if you're always doing the same thing. Analytics is also more than chromatography. Think about all the spectroscopies, microscopy etc.

being an organic chemist with strong analytical background is also surely not bad.

My plan is to repeat this experience at an organic research lab the next summer, so I can have both experiences lived by myself in order to take a better choice.

Also a good thing.

On synthetic organic chemistry. I often find that many PhDs I know that do total synthesis and stuff like that don't really care about the science. They definitely know loads of reactions and all the stereoselective stuff, but in the end it seems more like an art to me than science. They don't care about fundamental questions, if they have not too much to do with there synthesis. This is ok, but I don't like it.

Analytics are very "hard" on the other hand. you have a significant result or not. Your technique has the sensitivity or not.

just my 2 cents.

Mod edit: No swearing please, Dan.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:41:14 AM by Dan »

Offline eskil

• Mole Snacks: +0/-7
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 11:16:34 PM »
Organic chemistry is fun, analytical chemistry is boring but useful. Should not be a hard choice, generally speaking those who like analytical chemistry tend to dislike organic chemistry and vice versa.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 04:36:07 PM »
Analytical is boring? It depends on what are you doing. I allways found determining the structure of unknown substance very interesting

Offline subro

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 06:29:50 AM »
I don't think analytycal chemistry is boring. I've only said it has more waiting-for-stuff times than organic chemistry.

I've just read an article on the Analytical Scientist about chrom-MS and its future. It's very interesting and it makes me think about if chrom-MS is a good branch to start with.

I've copy some good quotes

(...)We don’t really get any recognition even though we typically do a great job. If you consider chromatography and mass spectrometry (chrom-MS), we are always faster and always more sensitive than other techniques. And yet, even though we solve every problem on “the analytical battlefield”, we rarely get any of the credit.

The danger? Well, we’re on a sinking battleship – one that’s being eaten by sharks. Certain elements of chromatography have been completely transferred to the users – who can do a lot of their chromatography themselves and don’t need us anymore. In principle, we should have more free time to work on high-end techniques that will be essential in solving the problems of tomorrow. But because we typically don’t get enough credit or attention, we don’t get the funding we need either.(...)

(...)We have another problem: the hangover of previous experience. Every chemistry student – and some in other scientific disciplines – have used chromatography at some point in their education. They worked on a lousy instrument somewhere as a graduate student and did some experiments. They think: “I can do chromatography. Chromatography is simple. Chromatography is slow.” I have a brush, so I can paint. But they are not aware of the vast improvements we have seen.

When people say the technique is fully developed, they often mean: “I cannot develop it any further.” But an expert can! I’ve heard statements about our technique being mature for at least a decade or so, but look at what we’ve seen since then: large volume injection, MS connected to every LC or GC, comprehensive chromatography, UPLC – so 10 times faster, 100 times more sensitive and 1000 times more certain. Such growth rates are seen in infants, not mature adults. Catalysis is mature, engine development is mature, organic chemistry is mature. My car still uses 6.5 liters of gasoline per 100 km – like my previous car, and the one before. Where is the progress?(...)

https://theanalyticalscientist.com/issues/through-the-looking-glass/chromatography-winning-every-battle-losing-the-war/?utm_source=newsletter-1215-03&utm_medium=webview&utm_campaign=Main%20teaser&utm_content=

But I'm still hesitating about what to do :/

Offline subro

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:54:07 AM »
Finally I decided to study the organic post-degree. See you in the organic chemistry forum!

Sponsored Links