April 23, 2024, 05:57:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sulfate Content Determination in Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide  (Read 1970 times)

Offline steeltype

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sulfate Content Determination in Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide
« on: January 06, 2016, 02:25:47 PM »
I am tasked with determining the sulfate content that becomes entrapped in Manganese Dioxide. We have a small bench scale reactor where we produce our manganese dioxide via an electrodeposition reaction which occurs on the surface of a titanium anode. Our electrolyte solution consists of Sulfuric Acid and Manganese Sulfate.

We believe that the sulfate becomes entrapped in the crystal structure as the manganese dioxide deposits on our titanium anode and contributes to some of the impurities we have. Literature values suggest anywhere between 1-2% by weight of sulfate in the sample, but none of the literature outlines a procedure for determining this.

Does anyone have any idea how to go about this? Any classical titration methods out there that could possibly do this? or possibly EDX?

Offline GCMASTER

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: Sulfate Content Determination in Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 02:40:38 AM »
I guess that if you will dilute your electrolyte in water and reach pH 7 by Ba(OH)2 addition, MnO2 and BaSO4 will precipitate - so you can get filtrate with MnSO4 only.
Just dry it and weight. ;)

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 06:28:06 PM »
I believe to understand that steeltype wants to determinethe sulphate in the manganese dioxide, not in the electrolyte.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »
Could you for example dissolve the sample in HCl to convert it to MnCl2 and then precipitate the sulphate by barium salt and then weight it?

Sponsored Links