April 27, 2024, 05:09:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Smokebombs, a dangerous game?  (Read 8967 times)

Offline mir

• Fascinated organic chemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +13/-3
  • Visit my blog: mir.humle.be
    • My humble homepage with norwegian articles
Smokebombs, a dangerous game?
« on: May 02, 2006, 12:30:18 PM »
The www is flourishing with articles of how to make a smokebomb.
I am thinking especially of KNO3 and sugar: Do you know any accidents or any stories around making smokebombs that ended with injury?
No single thing abides, but all things flow.
Fragment to fragment clings, and thus they grow
Until we know and name them.
Then by degrees they change and are no more
The things we know.
- Titus Lucretius Carus

http://www.ife.no

Offline joeflsts

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Ten fingers.. ten toes... PHEW!
Re: Smokebombs, a dangerous game?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 01:04:12 PM »
The www is flourishing with articles of how to make a smokebomb.
I am thinking especially of KNO3 and sugar: Do you know any accidents or any stories around making smokebombs that ended with injury?

Drinking too much water can cause injury.  Research, research and then research a bit more.  Over time you'll determine whether or not an experiment is safe to try.  Read the process of combining the materials to give you the desired product and then carefully examine whether or not a step or outcome is something that is potentially beyond your means.

Joe

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 06:42:18 PM »
Nitroglycerin synthesis is a prime example for observing and concluding from all the steps involved. The temperature of auto-ignition is dangerously close to what the synthesis temperate is. That's one expirement I know I won't be doing for a long time if I ever decide to do it.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline joeflsts

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 05:25:49 PM »
I agree.  There are many experiments that I find very interesting.  Many I just read and learn the results from someone elses adventure.  Others I attempt myself only when I'm comfortable that I can carry it out without chance of harming myself.  At my age I'm quite happy to maintain my digits!   ;D

Joe

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 06:08:15 PM »
You can do many experiments, also the more dangerous ones, but you have to follow a few rules:
1) Study the properties of the chemicals and the possible products. Take time for this.
2) Think about what might go wrong and think about what you need to do in that case. If this means that you need to do some special preparation (e.g. make an antidote) then do that.
3) Take safety precautions (e.g. good ventilation, or even a fumehood, or with lack of other options, do the experiment outside on a windy day).
4) Use small quantities. This is very important. If you use less than say 100 mg of reagents and you let the reaction run at a distance of at least a meter or so, outside, then even with the most energetic materials nothing serious can happen.

Look at my website. A lot of nice experiments, some quite dangerous, but I could perform them all, and I'm still here to write this post  ;). All these experiments were done at home, not in a special lab.

http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/exps/index3.html

Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 08:11:17 PM »
Always perform a full risk assessment.

Read the MSDS for all chemicals you will use.

Wear safety glasses (this is an important one).

Wear a lab coat and gloves.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline joeflsts

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 07:25:31 AM »
You can do many experiments, also the more dangerous ones, but you have to follow a few rules:
1) Study the properties of the chemicals and the possible products. Take time for this.
2) Think about what might go wrong and think about what you need to do in that case. If this means that you need to do some special preparation (e.g. make an antidote) then do that.
3) Take safety precautions (e.g. good ventilation, or even a fumehood, or with lack of other options, do the experiment outside on a windy day).
4) Use small quantities. This is very important. If you use less than say 100 mg of reagents and you let the reaction run at a distance of at least a meter or so, outside, then even with the most energetic materials nothing serious can happen.

Look at my website. A lot of nice experiments, some quite dangerous, but I could perform them all, and I'm still here to write this post  ;). All these experiments were done at home, not in a special lab.

http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/exps/index3.html

I have found your site to be very helpful and informative.  In fact many of the experiments I have performed either originated from your site or I later learned you had already done them.  Thank you for you efforts and willingness to share your information.

Joe

h

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 07:10:18 PM »
You forgot one thing.

Make sure your in a postion to run like hell if something goes wrong. ;)
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 04:09:26 PM »
In the case of smokebombs specifically, don't melt the mixure together as is recommended by several internet sources.  That's just asking for trouble.  Dry mixing works just fine and is much safer.  Read up on it in rec.pyrotechnics.

Sponsored Links