April 19, 2024, 09:07:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxidation  (Read 2193 times)

Offline wytw

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Oxidation
« on: January 16, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have some questions about Fenton mechanism. I don't really get how we can oxidize some compounds with iron salts and hydrogen peroxide, I know that we produce hydroxyl radicals which abstract hydrogen from substrate, but then what happen with R. ? Considering the fact that we don't have molecular oxygen in the medium.

If we work at a temperature around 100 degree, is it possible to have O2 incorporation or the T is too low to allow dioxygen activation ?

In the case of benzylic alcohol, which one is easier to oxidize, the benzylic alcohol or the aldehyde obtained by the oxidation of this alcohol, is it the alcohol because of its mesomeric donation effect which promote electrophilic attack by the oxidant?

Thank you for your help !  :)

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: Oxidation
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 02:09:52 PM »
benzyl alcohol is easier to oxidize

Offline wytw

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 03:44:07 PM »
Thanks !
Is the reason I gave correct ? Thus, the alcohol is easier to oxidize than toluene which only possess alkyl donor (compare to mesomeric effect of alcohol) ?

Any idea for my other issue ?

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 04:27:59 PM »
The electron lone pairs stabilize a radical intermediate.  It's a benzyl proton so its pretty low relatively to the sp2 radical.  Therefore, there is enormous selectivity.  The aldehyde hydrogen is also less stable sp2.  Toluene has the ring effect so it will also be a weak bond.  to summarize: it's the difference of  sp2 versus  sp3 radical in the benzyl position.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 08:09:28 AM »
Re: Fenton oxidation
In the case of benzylic alcohol, which one is easier to oxidize, the benzylic alcohol or the aldehyde obtained by the oxidation of this alcohol, is it the alcohol because of its mesomeric donation effect which promote electrophilic attack by the oxidant?

I don't know the answer, but what are the products? If you start with a lot of alcohol, the kinetics should favor a build up of aldehyde. When the concentrations are equal, then the easier or kinetically faster reaction will drive its concentration down. Aldehydes are generally quite easy to oxidize and you may find many patents devoted to methods to prepare them. I'm going to suspect that little aldehyde is found in the product.

Re: mesomeric effect
I'm not sure what is being meant here. What is the mechanism of a Fenton oxidation and how should it apply here? Please elaborate.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links