March 29, 2024, 01:05:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: mentos kaboom ;)  (Read 30881 times)

Offline syko sykes

• Mole Snacks: +12/-10
Re: mentos kaboom ;)
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 11:31:52 PM »
Why does the scale need to be upside down? Why not just use it the right way up?
if you can get the experiment to work well with the coke bottle upside-down that would work. problem is we haven't tried it to know if it works upside down yet or not... so who wants to do the trial and tell us the results?
AP Chemistry Squad Member [V]

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 11:34:22 PM »
I meant why not just put the bottle on the scale the right way then add the mentos. Surely this would also work?
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2006, 04:57:01 AM »
Surely this would also work?

Can't see a signle reason why it shouldn't.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2006, 08:46:50 AM »
I meant why not just put the bottle on the scale the right way then add the mentos. Surely this would also work?
that's a genious plan, just cover the scale with something so it doesn't get soda all over it. tonic water will work way better than soda, it is more carbonated.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2006, 07:06:03 PM »

because you would get no reading. it would only weigh the bottle. if you have the bottle the right way and put the mentos in and the scale above that you can determine the force that it pushes on the scale
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006, 08:22:11 PM »
because you would get no reading. it would only weigh the bottle. if you have the bottle the right way and put the mentos in and the scale above that you can determine the force that it pushes on the scale

I disagree.

Sure if you place the bottle on the scale it will weigh the bottle. Now you put the mentos in the bottle and soda shoots out the top of the bottle. If I am correct the soda will exert a force on the bottle (and vice versa) which means you should get a change in the reading on the scale which you could equate to the force. (Newtons laws and all of that A exerts force on B etc etc)

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006, 08:22:46 PM »
it's the same thing, whether it pushes down or up.

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2006, 12:29:30 AM »

I disagree.

Sure if you place the bottle on the scale it will weigh the bottle. Now you put the mentos in the bottle and soda shoots out the top of the bottle. If I am correct the soda will exert a force on the bottle (and vice versa) which means you should get a change in the reading on the scale which you could equate to the force. (Newtons laws and all of that A exerts force on B etc etc)

it would work but for your way i think you would need a board to act as the ground to measure the exact exerted force instead of shooting into free air it has a little extra kick

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2006, 12:33:38 AM »
you would need a board to act as the ground

I don't understand ???

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2006, 08:50:45 AM »
it would work but for your way i think you would need a board to act as the ground to measure the exact exerted force instead of shooting into free air it has a little extra kick
i see what you're saying now, but the force of the soda pushing out will be the same either way.  :o

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2006, 12:43:25 PM »
you would need a board to act as the ground

I don't understand ???

the board acts as the ground so the bottle pushes against it instead of the open air which would give an incorrect reading

-Your's truly, 2006;

Sponsored Links