April 27, 2024, 12:07:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: mentos kaboom ;)  (Read 31067 times)

Offline Kenichi

• Mole Snacks: +6/-2
Re: mentos kaboom ;)
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 07:09:03 AM »
The best way i've found to get the mentos into the bottle is to take a test tube, load it up with about 10 mentos or so (however many will fit) and then put a piece of paper/card over top of it.  Flip the tube over so the card rests between the mentos and the open top of the bottle.  When you are ready, yank the paper from underneath the mentos and let them drop in.  When you do this make sure the tube is lined up with the hole. It gets rather messy otherwise.  Back away fast once you dump the mentos in.  It's pretty.
Honor is what you know of yourself. Reputation is what others think they know about you. Live by honor and let your reputation lie where it may. And outlive the bastards.

One day I will rule the world with my army of a mole of moles!

Offline syko sykes

• Mole Snacks: +12/-10
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 06:59:01 PM »
you have to be quick, but it is cool. trust me. ;D
i did this experiment for school and capping the bottle does make it much more exciting. i just wouldn't suggest wearing nice clothing. i think we achieved a blast radius of about 16 feet using this method.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [V]

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 08:20:06 PM »
ya i got 15 feet , at best guess, when i did mine

the best is when you get the entire roll in a bottle that's never been shaken, it's a must see

i would still like to try the pulling of the card idea only fling the bottle high in the air to see it burst in the air.

a good thing to try might be to turn it upside down on a slant and see if you can turn it into a rocket somehow

if someone has tried it let me know how that worked out for you
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline syko sykes

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 08:37:34 PM »
a good thing to try might be to turn it upside down on a slant and see if you can turn it into a rocket somehow
that would be pretty sweet but it would be extremely hard to do because you have gravity working against you the whole way so even if you got the mentos in the bottle without losing to much soda they would fall out as soon as the rocket began to take flight

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 09:40:10 PM »
i did this experiment for school and capping the bottle does make it much more exciting. i just wouldn't suggest wearing nice clothing. i think we achieved a blast radius of about 16 feet using this method.
i thought it was 16 feet high and a 20-something radius.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 10:33:03 PM »
either way you achieved some kind of 16 foot thing

and yes the gravity would be very difficult to overcome but oh so fulfilling if it were to work successfully

if anyone reads more than one topic, this could also be another way to replace the gasoline engine hahahahahahahaha or not

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline tennis freak

• Mole Snacks: +10/-9
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 10:36:18 PM »
they wouldn't fall out if the bottle was horizontal and you only launched it that way in hopes of hitting someone ;D
AP Chemistry Squad Member [004]

Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic!

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 11:01:56 PM »
they wouldn't fall out if the bottle was horizontal and you only launched it that way in hopes of hitting someone ;D

hahaha i like the way you think :)

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 09:06:38 PM »
does anyone have any ideas on how to make a scale to turn upside down and try the experiment to see exactly how much force gets exerted on the ground during a possible rocket launch of the bottle??

i'd really like to test my idea out

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 09:12:01 PM »
stand over it, and when it launches, let it hit you in the face, the size of the bruise is directly proportional to the amount of force of liftoff, don't forget the blackeye and bloody nose constants. shown by this function here: F=ENB^3 where F is force, E is the eye constant, N is the nose constant and B is the area of the bruised part of the face. remember, this function only applies when it is referring to the face, if it hits you in the chest, you have to use a different formula to calculate F.

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 09:17:49 PM »
stand over it, and when it launches, let it hit you in the face, the size of the bruise is directly proportional to the amount of force of liftoff, don't forget the blackeye and bloody nose constants. shown by this function here: F=ENB^3 where F is force, E is the eye constant, N is the nose constant and B is the area of the bruised part of the face. remember, this function only applies when it is referring to the face, if it hits you in the chest, you have to use a different formula to calculate F.

Stand under it mrdeadman and you yourself can calculate using this formula:

F=(V)2(D)/(B)

F is force, V is total volume of swelling of groin region, D is distance bottle travels up the  :o , B is pints of blood collected from entire region.

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2006, 09:23:52 PM »
Stand under it mrdeadman and you yourself can calculate using this formula:
F=(V)2(D)/(B)
F is force, V is total volume of swelling of groin region, D is distance bottle travels up the  :o , B is pints of blood collected from entire region.
so based on your proposal, the more blood i lose, the smaller the force?

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 09:33:23 PM »
oops didn't mean to put the / in there

it is all a directly proportional relationship

but it is still only B1

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline syko sykes

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2006, 11:10:09 PM »
does anyone have any ideas on how to make a scale to turn upside down and try the experiment to see exactly how much force gets exerted on the ground during a possible rocket launch of the bottle??

i'd really like to test my idea out
while the 2 equations you offered were rather genius, i'd like to propose something on a more serious note. Somehow I don't think we would get many volunteers for the face bruising or groin bleeding trials.

Use the good old F=MA equation. M would be the mass of the coke that shoots out (tonic water might actually work better) and A, acceleration, could be calculated based on the height the coke shoots up and the gravitational force acting on it.

Another way would be to place objects of varying weights on top of the bottle immediately after filling it with mentos. If it lifts the object then you know it produces at least that much force. I'm sure it would produce enough force to at least lift itself using your rocket idea.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2006, 11:15:31 PM »
Why does the scale need to be upside down? Why not just use it the right way up?
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Sponsored Links