April 28, 2024, 07:41:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry book for IIT JEE  (Read 7130 times)

loom91

Chemistry book for IIT JEE
« on: May 03, 2006, 02:33:50 PM »
Hi,

I took my class X board exams 2 months ago and am now preparing for the IIT JEE two years later. I wish to know which chemistry book is a good one to use for my preparation. I'm not interested in many reference books or problem books right now, I'll think about those once I've finished my textbooks, so what I want is an IIT-JEE level textbook for General Chemistry (I plan on using Morrison and Boyd for Organic and JD Lee for Inorganic).

I bought the new book (Kalyani Senior Chemistry) by KL Chugh, but it doesn't seem to cover all the concepts necessary for IIT JEE in proper detail. Will OP Agarwal be a good choice? Thank you for your help.

Molu

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Chemistry book for IIT JEE
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 03:35:00 PM »
I don't know how much concept you need, but I know Atkins' Physical Chemistry has a very good and detailed description for statistical thermodynamics and reaction kinetics.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline sapta

• Mole Snacks: +1/-5
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 11:27:48 PM »
OP Agarwal's book (JPNP publications) is overall a nice book.I like the organic chemistry part most.But,as you already plan to have Morrison and Boyd's Organic Chemistry,I don't think you will need it much.By the way I am not sure if you need to read all these books.IIT JEE questions are set within the syllabus,so any IIT JEE book would be sufficient if you read it thoroughly.Of course if you can read thoroughly all the books you have specified,then it would be much better.You can get study materials fom some institutions,if you like.Giving mock tests is an important part of the preparation.And best of luck ;)

loom91

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 02:53:53 AM »
OP Agarwal's book (JPNP publications) is overall a nice book.I like the organic chemistry part most.But,as you already plan to have Morrison and Boyd's Organic Chemistry,I don't think you will need it much.By the way I am not sure if you need to read all these books.IIT JEE questions are set within the syllabus,so any IIT JEE book would be sufficient if you read it thoroughly.Of course if you can read thoroughly all the books you have specified,then it would be much better.You can get study materials fom some institutions,if you like.Giving mock tests is an important part of the preparation.And best of luck ;)

But there are differences of quality between books? What is the best book for General Chemistry (Stoichiometry, Atomic and Molecular Structure, Nuclear and Radiochemistry, Energetics, Equilibiria, Solutions, Periodic Table etc.)? By good I mean theory as well as problems collection. Thanks.

Molu

Sponsored Links