March 28, 2024, 07:43:22 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cool chemistry  (Read 4841 times)

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Cool chemistry
« on: May 02, 2006, 09:42:13 PM »
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Cool chemistry
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 05:37:21 PM »
"After the presentation, attendees can observe a polymerization reaction with the help of students from Dr. Caroline Geary’s chemistry classes and will be able to take home their “slime” creation."

Hmm sounds like something I did my freshman year in physical science. I wish I could remember how we did it though. It was polyvinyl alcohol and something else. I'm sure there are probably different ways to make "slime".

I wish I lived near there.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
Re: Cool chemistry
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 06:42:44 PM »
I wish I could remember how we did it though. It was polyvinyl alcohol and something else. I'm sure there are probably different ways to make "slime".

Its either borax or boric acid.  (I forget which.)  I think you can use white glue in place of polyvinyl alcohol.  (This is one of the many experiments that I still haven't got around to doing.)

Sponsored Links