April 25, 2024, 04:01:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry in the movies/tv  (Read 1390 times)

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
Chemistry in the movies/tv
« on: August 18, 2023, 06:47:33 AM »
Hi guys,

Random question - but do any of you know good examples of bad lab setups from the movies/tv? you know the type i mean - Buchis with blue liquid, condensers clamped over nothing, tubing in all the wrong places etc... I want to add a mid-lecture break where students have to list all the things that are wrong with the setup, but struggling to find good examples (even though I'm sure I've seen such things many times and been irritated by it!).

Thanks!

Online Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Chemistry in the movies/tv
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 10:59:12 AM »
No specific example of the bubbling blue beakers comes to mind, but something else does. I'm (re)watching Breaking Bad and there's an episode where Jesse is in Mexico synthesizing his meth and the cartel wants to make sure it is as pure as Walter White's. So he dissolves some up and injects it right into a what I think they referred to as a GC-MS. And ten seconds later (slowed for dramatic effect) there are some beep-bop-boops and computer screen flashes a big purity dial that settles to "96% Pure!" or some such. All the onlookers erupt into applause. Lol, if only chemical analysis was so easy.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links