April 18, 2024, 04:09:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Strontium replacement?  (Read 11366 times)

budullewraagh

Strontium replacement?
« on: August 06, 2004, 03:23:18 PM »
is it true that i could react Sr with NaCl to form Na and SrCl2?  the reduction potentials seem to say so.  if so i'm definately going to buy highway flares ;D

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Strontium replacement?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 10:51:30 PM »
Only if the NaCl is anhydrous and in a molten state.  If there is any water at all in the reaction vessel the Sr, and any possible Na that could form, would immediately react with the water.  

And with all the materials and techniques needed to make the sodium chloride molten, it would just be much cheaper to buy pure sodium metal from an online retailer.  (E-Bay has kind of cracked down on sodium sales, however, but if you see someone selling elements then there's a good chance they can get you some sodium).  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 10:52:45 PM by jdurg »
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 11:03:38 PM »
It might be worth looking into finding a low melting point eutectic mixture, I looked at that once when I was contemplating building some sort of downs cell modification, and as I recall, I think there was a eutectic with one of the salts of gallium that had an MP of 80 odd degrees, which would be easy using a blowtorch.

Dry your NaCl over NaOH for a week or two maybe, just to make sure that its anhydrous, or heat for some time before adding the metal for the reduction, maybe you could use some of the Li from the batteries you were taking apart, probably wont matter too much it its a little oxidised, if that is, Li is a strong enough reducer to tear apart Na from its compounds.

On second thoughts, why not simply go for the electrolysis of fused NaOH, I have had OK yields of Na from this using a car battery, use a blowtorch to heat the NaOH and keep it fused, or better yet a camping stove and dig out the blobs of molten Na with a spoon as soon as they form then chuck them into naptha or other light hydrocarbon to store them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 11:08:02 PM by Limpet Chicken »

budullewraagh

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 11:18:36 PM »
ah but i cant get fused NaOH; my chem teacher is very suspicious of my lab work and she'd have me do everything in front of her.  of course, obtaining Na(s) in front of her is questionable to say the least.

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 11:23:25 PM »
And yet she will let you try and make Na from strontium metal and molten NaCl?
Why not do it at home, so long as you wear your eye protection it shouldn't be any problem, I have never run into difficulty with it anyway.

Don't tell me you can't buy NaOH cheaply in america?

budullewraagh

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 12:03:06 AM »
no, but then again i can get NaCl and Sr without her help.  i cant obtain pure NaOH(s) without asking a teacher for it.  she will ask many questions.  -> i am screwed.

we can buy NaOH cheaply but it always has NaOCl in it and it's aqueous

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 06:27:50 PM »
You can probably get NaOH from walmart ask for "lye".
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-4
  • llamas, eat my bazooka!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 07:31:50 PM »
I got NaOH dry as "Draino crystals" or something like that at Publix. I have no idea how pure it is but NaOH is the only active ingredient.
Hydrochloric acid, guaranteed to make you lose weight!

Sponsored Links