April 28, 2024, 02:59:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Felkin Anh  (Read 1872 times)

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
Felkin Anh
« on: February 10, 2016, 07:14:52 PM »
I am usually good at converting from Newman projections to bond line... At least in the regular intro organic courses. However, when I use the Felkin Anh model (which I know how to generate the Newman projection), whenever I translate it to the bond line formula I am getting an incorrect stereochemistry. I'm not sure what's different about the Felkin Anh when it comes to translating to bond line but does anyone have a trick on how to do this? I can't use models on the exams so I need to know how to do this in 2D. Thank you.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Felkin Anh
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 02:29:43 AM »
Do you have a specific example of one you got wrong? Explain what you did, and then we can see where you went wrong.

There are two ways to get the wrong answer - It's not clear whether the problem is a mistake in conversion from Newman projection or a mistake using the Felkin-Ahn model to predict facial preference.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
Re: Felkin Anh
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:11:23 AM »
I agree with Dan that more specific examples would be helpful.

That being said, one of the critical things with Felkin-Ahn is that after you've predicted the configuration you need to rotate the parts so that the longest carbon chain ends up anti-periplanar. If you aren't doing this you won't get the correct absolute configuration.

Sponsored Links