April 28, 2024, 05:12:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Catalyst  (Read 6498 times)

Offline kelaklub

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
  • I'm a mole!
Catalyst
« on: May 03, 2006, 10:34:59 PM »
The following is from a practise exam, I think the answer that has been provided is false or the question has been incorrectly worded, you can only pick one choice...

Question:
              Catalysts have which of the followwing effects on a chemical reaction?
              A) They lower the activation energy.
              B) They increase the free energy.
              c) They cause the reaction to proceed spontaneously.
              D) They increase the rate at which the product is formed.
              E) They shift the equilibrium so the reverse reaction proceeds more easily

The answer provided for this question is B, but I always thought it was A, or C. Could this be a typo? Thanks.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Catalyst
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 11:40:29 PM »
I would have said A (or D).
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 02:57:48 AM »
I would have said A (or D).

That's two of us.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 04:18:56 AM »
Make that three.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 07:13:58 PM »
Now 4.

I hate questions that can have multiple answers. I especially hate if the real answer isn't something you though would work.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 03:52:15 PM »
The answer is A. There can only be one true answer and we all know, i assume, that a catalyst's only purpose is to lower the activation energy so the reaction can occur.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 03:59:18 PM »
There can only be one true answer

Not necessarilly. Often there are several answers and each can be good or wrong. Depends how the test is built.

catalyst's only purpose is to lower the activation energy so the reaction can occur.

Look for Arrhenius equation, it will tell you what happens to the reaction rate when the activation energy gets lower.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 04:03:23 PM »
There can only be one true answer

Not necessarilly. Often there are several answers and each can be good or wrong. Depends how the test is built.

Well, being that this is an exam question, there will only be one answer that is completely correct. There may be other answers that are correct but not as best fit for the question. So, in this case, yes, there is only one answer possible.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Sponsored Links