March 28, 2024, 03:45:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Olympiad preparation  (Read 8128 times)

Offline T

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Olympiad preparation
« on: February 11, 2016, 03:01:15 AM »
Hi, as some of you might know i took the qualifying olympiad last year. I am taking it again this year in august. Can you suggest what to prepare? It is the Australian one by the way.

Thanks

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: Olympiad preparation
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 07:14:05 AM »
This paper is based on good knowledge of all basic concepts ...First you have to learn all basic chemistry with good understanding like ...electronic configurations of atoms/ions ,balancing of reactions and types of reactions ,calculations based on the reactions ..you can start with this ...please do share what difficulties you faced with this exam last year.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 07:42:53 AM »
What paper do you mean?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 07:47:26 AM »
Hi, as some of you might know i took the qualifying olympiad last year. I am taking it again this year in august. Can you suggest what to prepare? It is the Australian one by the way.

Thanks

You said you took "qualifying Olympiad and  taking it again" ...

Offline T

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 02:57:33 AM »
Last year I took the Australian national qualifying exam, I made it into the camp but for personal reasons I did not go. This year I am retaking the national qualifying exam in August and hopefully I can make it to the camp again. I think me being invited to the camp last year was a bit of a fluke. I was not 100% sure for the questions, more like I kinda knew a bit and from what I know I applied it but I guessed a bit. So this year I really want to prepare well enough so I can feel like I got 95% of the questions 100% right. Last year I have looked at all the things on the syllabus, however, I do not know everything 100%, maybe 80% only. I can balance equations, do titration calculations, do redox reactions, name organics but not too confident with spectrometry. I don't know if I should try to do as many olympiad questions as possible(international and from other countries) or learn the year 11 and 12 textbook 100% or read things beyond high school such as organic mechanisms and analytical books. Sorry about the rant, I would really appreciate any suggestions. Cheers!

Sponsored Links