April 29, 2024, 04:18:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: drying glassware  (Read 5871 times)

Offline tomek

• Mole Snacks: +9/-1
drying glassware
« on: February 12, 2016, 02:59:41 AM »
I was wondering if drying your glassware for air-sensitive chemistry needs to be done strictly before you attempt it. What if you dry glassware in an oven and do your reaction two days later (of course you flush it with inert gas everytime - no question about that)? Would that be long enough for water to adsorb on the walls? Also I'm curious what methods you use. I personally don't like flame drying (or with heat gun) as I'm never sure if I do it uniformly enough. I prefer to leave all the stuff in an oven at 125 °C the day before I plan my reaction. Although I must say sometimes I will use a heat gun for what I consider less sensitive chemistry so I guess it depends on application. What about you?

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
Re: drying glassware
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 05:16:15 AM »
I keep them in 110oC oven for a day and do three vacuum-inert gas cycles once the apparratus is fully assembled.
If the experiment requires solids I insert those during the assembly, and if the solids are air-sensitive I do the assembly inside a glovebox.

I'm sure heat gun is enough if the reaction is not hypersensitive to moisture, but I prefer to do the oven drying in order the eliminate any extra factors I can't fully control.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 10:45:41 AM »
I dry the glassware at 140 °C for four hours, then try to cool in a desiccator for a few minutes, then assemble the apparatus.  Flame-drying can be problematic for compound glassware.

Offline TheUnassuming

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-1
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
Depends on the type and scale of the reaction.  If the reaction is very sensitive to trace water (organometallic catalysts or just running on a small scale) I'll flame dry the setup under highvac before use. 

How much water adheres to the glassware after sitting out probably depends on the humidity and surface quality/smoothness of the glass.   
When in doubt, avoid the Stille coupling.

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 09:05:38 PM »
I'd also suggest weighing out solids using a glove bag, if you do not have access to a glove box.  Glove bags are cheap, argon is ~$35 for 2500psi, cost benefit wise worth it.  Also use smaller needles, they will keep the setum more intact.  Positive pressure with argon, or atmospheric equilibration will occur. 

Sponsored Links