April 28, 2024, 04:32:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ionization constants for weak acids  (Read 4529 times)

art1

Ionization constants for weak acids
« on: May 05, 2006, 09:21:31 AM »
Hi, I am having much difficulty with weak acid ionization constants. As far as i knwo it is done the same way the equilibrium constant is done but multiplied by the %of ionization and the concentration of the solution of the acid.

I was given this question and I do not understand why there is an X in the denominator.

calculate the concentration of H3O+ in .2M of methanoic acid (HCOOH) at 25%

HCOOH(aq) + H20(l) ----> H30(+1)(aq) +HCOO-(aq)

Ka= [H30(+)][HCOO]/HCOOH
then my teacher told me I can re write the equation as such

(1.8)(1^-4)=X^2 /.2M - X

I can see why everything is in that second equation except the -x in the denominator

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
Re: Ionization constants for weak acids
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 02:53:25 PM »
ICE. initial change equilibrium Ka=[H+][HCOO-]/[HCOOH] at equilibrium the [H+] and [HCOO-] increase while [HCOOH] decreases the same amount as the increase therefore you solve for x. does that make sense or no? :)
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
Re: Ionization constants for weak acids
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 04:10:34 PM »
In actuallity, the x in the denominator, in this case, does not matter because the concentration (.2) and the Ka ((1^-4) which i think you mean 1 x 10^-4, but i'm not sure) are far enough apart that the concentration that the x in the denominator stands for will change an insignificant amount. I hope i didn't sound too confusing with that. If you don't understand reply and i will try to clear up any questions.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Sponsored Links