Specialty Chemistry Forums > Citizen Chemist

Vincristine/vinblastine extraction from periwinkle help

(1/2) > >>

Limpet Chicken:
I need to do an extraction of the periwinkle plant of the indole based anticancer drugs vinblastine or vincristine, I know the pink flowered madagascar periwinkle is the one used for commercial production of these alkaloids, but do either the blue flowered lesser or greater periwinkles contain vincristine/vinblastine to any extent? and how would I go about an extraction/purification?

Also, does anyone have the formula and structure for the chemical makeup of these alkaloids?

Thanks.

movies:
I don't know about the extraction, but here are the structures, etc.:

I hope I didn't screw them up, I had to copy them out of a book.

Limpet Chicken:
Thanks Movies, ooohhh...I can just see that this is going to be more difficult than I had thought, I don't suppose your book has any alternative nomenclature concerning vincristine/vinblastine does it? *looks hopeful*. Thanks again.

movies:
What kind of alternative nomenclature are you looking for?  The IUPAC names?  There might be some other "common" names, but they probably wouldn't do you any good.

Limpet Chicken:
Yeah, th IUPAC name was what I was after,  vincristine and vinblastine are indole based are they not, I was wondering if it wouldn't be possible to use them as a starting point for preparing various alkyl-substituted indole compounds, if not indole itself?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version