April 27, 2024, 08:39:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Henderson-Hasselbach?  (Read 8506 times)

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
Henderson-Hasselbach?
« on: May 05, 2006, 03:23:10 PM »
What are your thoughts on the use of the Henderson-Hasselbach equation? Usefull or not? Or should we just stick with the original ICE method?
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
Re: Henderson-Hasselbach?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 03:26:16 PM »
What are your thoughts on the use of the Henderson-Hasselbach equation? Usefull or not?
Why shouldn't it be useful? ??? I think that it is useful, you can save quite a lot of time using H&H equation

Well, I'm pretty sure that Borek will add some other stuff.... :)

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 03:30:59 PM »
What are your thoughts on the use of the Henderson-Hasselbach equation? Usefull or not? Or should we just stick with the original ICE method?
it is definately useful however it does not really matter which you use. pick whichever one works for you.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 03:37:27 PM »

mrdeadman posted the most important thing - doesn't matter how you solve the question, as long as the answer is correct (and calculations are reasonable fast ;) ).

However, I can't see link between ICE and HH, these are to different things with different uses. ICE if of no use when you have mix of acetic acid and some acetate, HH will not work when you need to calculate pH of formic acid.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 08:50:59 PM »
When I took general chem., I used the H.H. equation for buffer problems only, and ICE tables for everything else.  But when I was a UTA for one professor, he really never advocated using it since he said that students often confuse the [A-]/[HA] part.  ICE works for everthing, even buffer capacity problems (or so I was told).  I still use both and always introduced the H.H. equation to my students when they got stuck.  Anywho, H.H. equation is your friend.   ;) 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 04:00:15 AM »
ICE works for everthing, even buffer capacity problems (or so I was told).

C stands for Change, in many buffer problems you are given two concentrations and are asked about pH - no Change, no ICE. Do you remember how your UTA prof did these things?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 11:18:22 AM »
Do you remember how your UTA prof did these things?

I think he just set the problem up like a regular weak acid ionization problem to find the pH for a buffer (ICE then plug into the acid ionization equilibrium expression).  He just claimed that the Henderson Hassenbach equation was simply derived from the equilibrium expression anyway, and you got the same answer (I think you do but it is a much harder way to do it).  The thing is, he skipped over buffer capacity problems for HW and tests, but he had me go over such a problem in recitation.  He claimed that I could work the problem in the same way, but I just used the H.H. equation since that is how I learned it and I thought it was a good way to introduce this equation to my students.  A lot of my students liked to use the H.H. equation for titration problems. 

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 04:54:59 PM »
This question is so Borek. LOL.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 05:49:41 PM »
yeah, we use them for buffers too.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Sponsored Links