April 30, 2024, 11:07:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical Equilibrium - Le Chatelier's Principle - Endo/Exo reactions  (Read 13633 times)

Oxyale

Hey guys, I'm kinda stuck. It's to do with one of Le Chatelier's principles (i.e. if the temperature of a reaction mixture at equilibrium is increased, the equilibrium moves in the direction which absorbs heat). What I don't understand is how you are able to determine which (forward) reactions are endothermic and which are exothermic.

In my textbook, there is an example saying that (note : i'm using '=' as the reversiblity symbol)
2 SO2(g) + O2 (g) = 2 SO3 (g) is exothermic in the forward direction. Why is this? Is it possible to simply look at an equation and determine whether it's forward/reverse reaction is endothermic/exothermic, without the change in enthalpy being given?

Also, there is text in my textbook that says..

Exothermic reactions move left as the temperature increases; endothermic ones move to the right.

...which is nothing short of confusing  ???.

Thanks.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Is it possible to simply look at an equation and determine whether it's forward/reverse reaction is endothermic/exothermic, without the change in enthalpy being given?

In general - no.

Exothermic reactions move left as the temperature increases; endothermic ones move to the right.

That's Le Chatelier's principle you have quoted earlier, just told other way. If you take exothermic reaction and heat the vessel equilibrium will shift to the left - to reactants side - to absorb heat. If you cool it - equilibrium will shift to the right, to products side.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
In my textbook, there is an example saying that (note : i'm using '=' as the reversiblity symbol)
2 SO2(g) + O2 (g) = 2 SO3 (g) is exothermic in the forward direction. Why is this? Is it possible to simply look at an equation and determine whether it's forward/reverse reaction is endothermic/exothermic, without the change in enthalpy being given?

You sound extremely confused. The reversible sign does not represent that the forward reaction is exothermic. The enthalpy change is given to you so that you can identify which of the forward and backward reactions is exothermic and endothermic.

1. 2 SO2(g) + O2 (g) = 2 SO3 (g)  dH < 0
2. 2 SO3 (g) = 2 SO2 (g) + O2 (g) dH > 0
Equation (1) simply means the forward reaction is exothermic and the backward reaction is endothermic.
Equation (2) simply means the forward reaction is endothermic and the backward reaction is exothermic.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!

when heat is a product the reaction is exothermic so adding heat is going to cause the reaction to shift back to reactants. If heat is a reactant, adding heat will shift the reaction to favor products. it is basic equilibria.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Sponsored Links