Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: HPLC  (Read 2373 times)

Offline bfiumara

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
HPLC
« on: February 23, 2016, 07:03:58 PM »
Hi everybody,

I am looking to purchase a HPLC set for comparison of different oil/terpene extraction techniques. Are there any good companies/brands anybody would recommend? Also, is there any other equipment required for testing or using the HPLC system?

I appreciate any and all help you can give!

Thank you,

Brian

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: HPLC
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 08:06:17 PM »
I think you want to purchase an HPLC system.  They generally cost ~$25,000 USD.  In fact, that's just the fly-by-night sources of refurbished instruments found on Ebay.  Actual instrument companies will likely not sell one to someone who calls it a "set".  They expect to make money from the service plan for IQ/OQ/PQ and validation, and service plans.  So they only deal with incorporated laboratories.

You will need an entire functioning analytical chemistry laboratory to properly prepare eluents, standards and samples.  And you will need a contract in place for the disposal of hazardous liquid waste.

I also don't think you want an HPLC.  You say oil with terpene, so I assume you don't mean petroleum, but instead volatile fragrance oils and the like.  You would probably want a GC.  Tell me, in your research into analytical methods, did you find HPLC methods or GC methods.  Also what detection does the method call for?  I don't suspect terpenes have a significant chromaphore in the US/VIS.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline bfiumara

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:54:53 PM »
Okay, I deeply apologize for calling it a set and would appreciate a less harsh correction. Haha it's my first time posting on this forum so I guess that is my welcome! However, I am working with a certified laboratory with a sufficient budget for this.

Correct, I am referring to essential oil and terpenes in fragrance. In my research I found references to both being used, and in hiring a consultant, I was told a HPLC is best for this detection. Do you think GC over HPLC for detecting and measuring amounts of essential oils and terpenes/terpenoids?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 09:34:49 PM »
Yes, I do think GC instruments and methods are better.  Start with Google for the particular terpenes and volatile oils you're interested and see which instrument type looks best.

Consider doing a search on these forums as well, there's a number of posts by relative novices wanting to set up laboratories.  Its a more daunting task than you might think.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links