April 29, 2024, 02:05:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Stressing a Buffer and finding the pH  (Read 1775 times)

Offline aannrr

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Stressing a Buffer and finding the pH
« on: February 28, 2016, 11:52:47 PM »
So for my chemistry lab we had to create a 100 ml of two buffers with the same pH but significantly different capacities. My partner and I decided to use acetic acid and sodium acetate to create our buffer. We used 50 ml of 1.0 M acetic acid and 4.1 g of sodium acetate dissolved in 50 ml of distilled water. We added these together into a large beaker(A) to create a 100 ml buffer solution. We then took 25 ml out of the large beaker and put it into another large beaker(B). We then diluted the other beaker(B) with 75 ml of distilled water. We then diluted the original beaker(A) with 25 ml of distilled water. So all in all we have two large beakers both with a buffer of acetic acid and sodium acetate just at different concentrations (One has 75 ml of the buffer solution while one has 25 ml of the buffer solution both diluted to 100 ml). We then added 20 ml of 1.0 M sodium hydroxide to each beaker. We repeated all the steps above except we used 1.0 M hydrochloric acid instead of sodium hydroxide. The problem that I am having is calculating the theoretical pH that I should be getting when performing this lab. We are using the Henderson–Hasselbalch equation.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Stressing a Buffer and finding the pH
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 02:59:47 AM »
http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=buffers&right=pH-change

But if you have exceeded buffer capacity, the final pH will be almost solely just a function of the excess acid/base added.

Please note, the ionic strengths are so high you will be several tenths of a unit off.

ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links