April 27, 2024, 12:13:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need Harder Chemical Equation to Balance  (Read 4030 times)

Offline aerowx

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need Harder Chemical Equation to Balance
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:00:38 PM »
My teacher gave me this problem as an extra credit question, assuring me it would occupy my time for a while.

(Cr(N2H4CO)6)4(Cr(CN)6)3 + KMnO4 + H2SO4 --yields-- K2Cr2O7 + MnSO4 +CO2 + KNO3 + K2SO4 + HOH

However, I solved it in under ten minutes using pencil and paper. My teacher gave up on trying to challenge me. Does anyone know of a harder equation to balance?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Need Harder Chemical Equation to Balance
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 09:41:16 PM »
That's probably the worst one I've ever seen.  I almost sent you to this page:  http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/wspolczynniki.html  But that's where that problem is from.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 10:00:55 PM »
Its from JChemEd
H2 + Ca(CN)2 + NaAlF4 + FeSO4 + MgSiO3 + KI + H3PO4 + PbCrO4 + BrCl + CF2Cl2 + SO2 =
PbBr2 + CrCl3 + MgCO3 + KAl(OH)4 + Fe(SCN)3 + PI3 + Na2SiO3 + CaF2 + H2O

Paper, pencil and half an hour.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:15:37 PM by AWK »
AWK

Offline Burner

• Mole Snacks: +15/-2
  • Chem-is-try
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 06:00:26 AM »
Its from JChemEd
H2 + Ca(CN)2 + NaAlF4 + FeSO4 + MgSiO3 + KI + H3PO4 + PbCrO4 + BrCl + CF2Cl2 + SO2 =
PbBr2 + CrCl3 + MgCO3 + KAl(OH)4 + Fe(SCN)3 + PI3 + Na2SiO3 + CaF2 + H2O

Paper, pencil and half an hour.

The equation is the general equation of a many-step reaction right? I have never seen chemical equations with 11 reactants and 9 products :o

My teacher gave me this problem as an extra credit question, assuring me it would occupy my time for a while.

(Cr(N2H4CO)6)4(Cr(CN)6)3 + KMnO4 + H2SO4 --yields-- K2Cr2O7 + MnSO4 +CO2 + KNO3 + K2SO4 + HOH

However, I solved it in under ten minutes using pencil and paper. My teacher gave up on trying to challenge me. Does anyone know of a harder equation to balance?

Out of curiousity I searched for (Cr(N2H4CO)6)4(Cr(CN)6)3 on google and found that this forum has a thread on this:
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=76462.5

By the way, what is (Cr(N2H4CO)6)4(Cr(CN)6)3 exactly and how it is used other than being in a hard chemical equation for balancing? Nothing useful is found on Google, ChemSpider, PubChem, and a lot of other databases
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:12:38 AM by Burner »
Year 1 science student in HKUST and a Chemistry geek.
If I make any mistakes in the forum, please don't hesitate to correct me as I want to learn.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 07:26:10 AM »
The equation is the general equation of a many-step reaction right? I have never seen chemical equations with 11 reactants and 9 products :o
Right. Reaction should be split in ~10 steps. As a starting point I used balancing of sulfur and scaling between each step.
(Cr(N2H4CO)6)4(Cr(CN)6)3 is a complex Cr(urea)63+ and Cr(CN)63-. This comes from redox challange of JChemEd also.

For my students I prepared a file on non-standard balancing difficult redox reactions (in Polish, but language of reactions is understandable for all) search Google for pdf:
trudne redoksy forum
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »
These difficult reactions are just an art for arts sake. Those with oxidation of some fancy organometallic compounds are rather trivial to design, the one with 11 reactants and 9 products is sometimes called Blakley equation, as it was produced - using linear algebra - by G.R. Blakley here: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed059p728

It has nothing to with a real chemistry.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 06:17:33 PM »
Those with oxidation of some fancy organometallic compounds are rather trivial to design, the one with 11 reactants and 9 products is sometimes called Blakley equation, as it was produced - using linear algebra - by G.R. Blakley here: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed059p728

Not exactly. Blakley wrote: "Only the matrix method (described below) is powerful enough to balance the skeletal chemical equation". And this statement in not true.

It has nothing to with a real chemistry.
I agree. The Blakley reaction is a kind of chemical heresy.
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 06:47:02 PM »
Same paper, summary:

If somebody has a list of chemical species and wants to know the collection (be it void or nonvoid) of all possible chemical reactions among them - but not involving any other chemical species as either reactants or products - the matrix method quickly (less than one second run time of an already compiled FORTRAN program on a large mainframe) and cheaply (a few 1982 dimes) gives the complete answer.

I read it as meaning the equation was generated using brute force on a database of compound formulas.

Actually matrix method is not working for some reactions, but that's another story.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 08:48:02 PM »
@OP, Maybe it is time to turn your attention to other kinds of chemical problems.

Sponsored Links