April 26, 2024, 02:31:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to measure low level of sulfate ions in APR solution  (Read 2984 times)

Offline alexv

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
How to measure low level of sulfate ions in APR solution
« on: March 09, 2016, 11:23:32 AM »
Hi,
I'm looking for an expensive way to measure 10-20 ppm of sulfur in ammonium perrhenate.
Thanks for ideas.
Alex

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to measure low level of sulfate ions in APR solution
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 11:31:20 AM »
That's quite low, so it can get expensive.  (I'm assuming you're looking for inexpensive.)  If you just need to know the ppm of atomic sulfur, then you could submit your sample for ICP.  If you have to quantitate sulfate, then you may want ion chromatography, but you will need the very best system, maintained scrupulously, to go that low in the presence of large amounts of other ions.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline alexv

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 05:15:59 PM »
That's quite low, so it can get expensive.  (I'm assuming you're looking for inexpensive.)  If you just need to know the ppm of atomic sulfur, then you could submit your sample for ICP.  If you have to quantitate sulfate, then you may want ion chromatography, but you will need the very best system, maintained scrupulously, to go that low in the presence of large amounts of other ions.
ICP can't measure sulfur. Sulfur is mesured by combustion but its not accurate enough for my application.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:28:33 PM by alexv »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 05:41:14 PM »
ICP can't measure sulfur.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0584854715000907

Sulfur is mesured by combustion but its not accurate enough for my application.

I'd seen those sulfur testing rigs for the sulfur component in  thin metal film sample.  If they're not accurate enough, you may have to go for ion chromatography of sulfate anion, but I don't know what other anions are present.

Offline alexv

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 12:58:52 AM »
ICP can't measure sulfur.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0584854715000907

I don’t have ICP in house and five independent analytical labs that I’ve been using for various analytical needs  can’t do  sulfur by ICP in APR. If you can recommend a reputable lab that can I would highly appreciate it.

I'd seen those sulfur testing rigs for the sulfur component in  thin metal film sample.  If they're not accurate enough, you may have to go for ion chromatography of sulfate anion, but I don't know what other anions are present.

I don't have metal, I've got ammonium perrhenate solution. I'm not very familiar with LC and I'm not sure what other anions are there besides chloride. Can it test APR?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 06:33:42 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 06:36:29 AM »
If you're working with salts and want to quantitate them as ions -- how much sulfate,instead of how much sulfur, buying an ion chromatograph could be worthwhile.  But they are expensive, and need to be treated with care to get the best results.I would see if a contract lab would try you samples out for you, to see if you like the results.

Sponsored Links