April 28, 2024, 12:27:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry subject GRE - highly recommended  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Bioinorganic78

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • Undergraduate Chemistry Student
Chemistry subject GRE - highly recommended
« on: March 13, 2016, 09:02:36 PM »
Hello everyone,

I will be applying to chemistry graduate programs (PhD, bioinorganic) next year. None of the schools I am interested in require the chemistry GRE subject test, but several list it as recommended/highly recommended. I was not planning on taking the test (the less standardized testing the better), but I am just curious if this will at all lessen my application or shot at the top applicant fellowships. I am a chemistry major (biochemistry concentration) with a current 3.89 GPA if that helps, and will be taking the standard GRE test.

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Re: Chemistry subject GRE - highly recommended
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 05:48:59 AM »
I had to take the GRE to move from England to Canada for my PhD. The same was recommended that I should take chem too but I didn't but still got the position. It depends on the competitiveness of the project you're applying for. If you think hundreds of people will apply for it I would take the chem GRE but then again it could backfire if you got a more average score. Your GPA is really good and they usually just look at that and less so the tests.

Offline Bioinorganic78

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • Undergraduate Chemistry Student
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 07:13:02 PM »
I had to take the GRE to move from England to Canada for my PhD. The same was recommended that I should take chem too but I didn't but still got the position. It depends on the competitiveness of the project you're applying for. If you think hundreds of people will apply for it I would take the chem GRE but then again it could backfire if you got a more average score. Your GPA is really good and they usually just look at that and less so the tests.

Okay, thank you for your reply. I heard the Chem GRE is very difficult, I'll probably not take it.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:56:54 PM »
I didn't take it, and I had no problem getting into grad school. As I recall, it covers a lot of analytical chemistry, which I never had in undergrad, so I probably would not have scored very well.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links