April 24, 2024, 11:30:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: entropy of expansion  (Read 4751 times)

Offline plu

• Mole Snacks: +15/-7
entropy of expansion
« on: May 23, 2006, 11:55:07 AM »
I am trying to calculate the entropy change involved in the expansion of 1 mole of O2 gas at an initial temperature of 120 K and pressure of 4 atm to a final temperature of 90 K and pressure of 1 atm.  The process is stated to be adiabatic, so dSsurr = 0.  I used the following equation to calculate dSsys:

dSsys = nRln(V2/V1) + nCpln(T2/T1)

Cp of O2 is given to be 28.2 J/K.mol .  Then, using the ideal gas law, V1 and V2 can be found to be 2.46 L and 7.39 L respectively.  My final answer is thus 1.03 J/K.mol .  However, the solution that my instructor gives has the answer as 3.41 J/K.mol and uses this equation:

dSsys = nRln(P1/P2) + nCpln(T2/T1)

This suggests that there is an inverse relation between P and V during the expansion, but this cannot be true because T is not constant.  Which solution is correct?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: entropy of expansion
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 12:43:21 PM »
Since entropy is a state variable, then we can divide the pathway into 2 consercutive path.

The first path involves constant temperature, ie. 120K, 4atm to 120K, 1atm

The second path involves constant pressure, ie. 120K, 1atm to 90K, 1atm.

dSsys = nRln(P1/P2) + nCpln(T2/T1)

The expression in bold represents the first path.

The underlined expression represents the second path.

Hope this clears things up for you.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links