April 24, 2024, 08:29:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Formation of Rubber  (Read 5704 times)

ACFREEZE

Formation of Rubber
« on: May 08, 2006, 11:53:56 AM »
Hi there and thanks for viewing my post,

I am having trouble with understanding something on the Formation of Rubber.

Part of the assignment I have been asked to do is on the Formation of Natural and Synthetic Rubber, I have to identify the similarities and differences between them, including Butyl Rubber.

If any one can help I would be grateful?

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
Re: Formation of Rubber
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 06:12:08 PM »
the first thing you do is to refer to the chemistry book that you should have.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline wereworm73

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +21/-4
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 07:38:05 PM »
For the formation of natural rubber, do you need to explain how the rubber trees create cis-1,4-polyisoprene (the main component in natural rubber)?  Or is your assignment more concerned with the process of extracting this substance from the rubber tree latex and treating it?

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 07:41:56 PM by wereworm73 »

ACFREEZE

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 08:20:22 PM »
Yes, I need some help with indentfying the differnces and simialrities in the formation (polymerisation) between Polyisoprene, polybutadiene, styrene-butadiene and butyl rubber.

I can't seem to get this, I know that styrene-butadiene is a copolymer and that the others are homopolymers but nothing else.

any help anyone can give would be great

Offline wereworm73

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +21/-4
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 05:21:15 PM »
A good place to start is to compare the monomeric units, initiators & catalysts used in the polymerization reactions.  Isoprene & 1,3-butadiene molecules are very similar.  In fact, isoprene is also known as 2-methyl-1,3-butadiene.  Not too surprisingly, both isoprene & butadiene can polymerize the same way (from 1,4-addition reactions), and both can even be vulcanized the same way.  It's just that with natural rubber, it's not going to involve the Ziegler-Natta catalyst used in making synthetic polymers.

By the way, butyl rubber is not a homopolymer.  It's really a copolymer of isobutylene & isoprene. 

Sponsored Links