April 27, 2024, 11:26:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: BALANCING EQUATION HELP? Problems with half cell balancing  (Read 1841 times)

Offline 1z3

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
BALANCING EQUATION HELP? Problems with half cell balancing
« on: April 01, 2016, 06:49:02 AM »
When doing past papers, I often lose marks in the equation balancing department. I've looked online/youtube to find a reliable way of balancing any equation and I'm always left disappointed.

The only reliable method I seem to know is simply trial and error but this often lets me down as reactions become more complicated.

For example, I've been trying for around 20-30mins now trying to balance the half cell reactions in a direct alkaline ethanol fuel cell:
I've worked out the oxidation and reduction reactions but I am stumped on how to balance them using a reliable logical process. I can look up the answer but I need to know how for the exam.

C2H5OH + OH- ----> CO2 + H2O + e-
O2 + H2O + e- -----> OH-
I know the overall is simply combustion of ethanol: C2H5OH + 3O2 ----> 2CO2 + 3H2O

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline mikasaur

• Mole Snacks: +27/-1
  • Chemist in training
Re: BALANCING EQUATION HELP? Problems with half cell balancing
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 12:17:40 PM »
http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Core/Analytical_Chemistry/Electrochemistry/Redox_Chemistry/Balancing_Redox_reactions#Basic_Conditions

Be very careful about multiplication and addition and writing clearly. It's easy to mess up one little thing and then the whole process is thrown out of whack.
Or you could, you know, Google it.

Sponsored Links