April 26, 2024, 12:22:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: General Chemistry Bachelor Degree or Specialized?  (Read 3053 times)

Offline mattdef91

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
General Chemistry Bachelor Degree or Specialized?
« on: April 07, 2016, 01:52:32 PM »
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to ask a few seasoned chemists if they think that getting a specialized chemistry degree at the bachelor's level ( such as specialty in biochem or p. chem) is worth it as opposed to a general chemistry degree. 

I have been going to school for a long time and have switched majors quite a few times finally settling on working in the chemical industry.  I am very antsy to finish my bachelors.  I have a wife and child on the way and would like to be able to get out of the undergraduate and work somewhere while getting my master's and eventually my PhD. 

I know for a fact that I can finish with a general chemistry degree from my school within the next year or so, but if I choose to specialize, I will be delaying myself and taking on large loans for another year. 

In terms of research and work experience: I do research with the physical chemistry department at my institution and work full time in a trauma center emergency department as a nurses aide/EMT.   

So, will I be shooting myself in the foot by getting just a general chemistry degree as opposed to either the ACS chemistry degree or a more specialize baccalaureate? Will it hurt my job prospects or my entrance into graduate school? 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matthew

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: General Chemistry Bachelor Degree or Specialized?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 03:26:42 AM »
Higher education systems vary, which country are you studying in?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 01:42:52 PM »
Well, my situation was different but I got my bachelors in rather specific field - bioinorganic chemistry. Honestly we had 90% of the classes together with ppl who were getting their bachelors in other fields, namely bioorganic chemistry, general chemistry, applied chemistry and about 50% togerther with biochemistry undergrads.

There was almost no difference in knowledge after we got our degree. We few more clases in inorganic chemistry while they had more classes in biochemistry and molecular biology, but in the end all those classes were just introductory and we didnt delve deep enough. I have maybe better idea about coordination compounds or something else than my mates that get their Bc in other fields (while they obviously have better idea in other areas).

Anyway, I dont think that it realy matters, I value the general knowledge more than specifics but you might not. And I think that unless you are going to pursue PhD then its better to have more general idea than specifics that you might not even use in the future.

PS: Our school system is different than in the US, its 3 year bachelor, 2 years masters then PhD so we have more specific classes in the masters degree and almost no classes when pursuing PhD (well there are "clasess" but its more like self study and consultation than actual class)

Offline jjwinkle

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 12:40:31 PM »
For your circumstances I don't think the extra year for specialization is worth it.

Sponsored Links