March 29, 2024, 06:21:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Coordination number  (Read 5452 times)

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Coordination number
« on: May 10, 2006, 08:40:03 AM »
i heard that its the number of closest neighbours that an atom has, but if those neighbours are also the neighbours of other atoms, will the coordination number change?
one learns best by teaching

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
Re: Coordination number
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 08:42:41 AM »
i heard that its the number of closest neighbours that an atom has, but if those neighbours are also the neighbours of other atoms, will the coordination number change?
sorry to jack, but what's the coordination number?
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 09:12:51 AM »
from what i heard, its the number of closest neighbours that surrounds an atom in an ionic lattice, but im not sure of this definition
one learns best by teaching

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 03:35:43 PM »
In chemistry, the coordination number is the sum of the total number of neighbors of a central atom in a chemical compound and the number of lone pairs on it. In methane the coordination number for the carbon atom is 4. In inorganic chemistry the number of sigma bonds between ligand and the central atom count but not the number of pi bonds.

In materials science, the bulk coordination number is the number of atoms touching any other atom in a crystal lattice. It differs from the surface coordination number which is always less than the bulk coordination number. The surface coordination number is dependant on which Miller index the surface uses. In a body-centered cubic (BCC) crystal, the bulk coordination number is 8, whereas for the (100) surface, the surface coordination number is 4.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links