April 27, 2024, 02:18:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 619388 times)

Offline Tryptamine

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2007, 04:31:45 PM »
Hello, I'm 19 and am a Freshman in college.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2007, 07:51:09 PM »
My name is Andrew.  Senior in Chemistry at UCSD and work part time as a medicinal synthetic chemist.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline cetirizine

« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2007, 02:31:06 AM »

Hi everyone, my name is Ding Su, from China, graduated from university in June this year, now I joined a Swiss company in China as an assistant chemist. I majored in organic chemistry, I hope I will make great progress in this field, and it will be fortunate to have intercommunication with you.
Thank you!!! :D

Offline Norngpinky

« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2007, 03:52:03 PM »
Hi, I'm...Aha, I go with Norngpinky :'D

Anyway, I find that I really actually like chemistry. . . So when I found this forum I decided to join.

Anyway, it looks a nice community here. =D

Offline Rabn

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-13
« Reply #154 on: December 25, 2007, 10:11:50 PM »
Hey everyone, I stumbled on this site a little bit ago and jumped right into helping out some folk. It was suggested that I introduce myself and I couldn't agree more. First off, it's Christmas and I'm poking around here...that should give an idea of how much I absolutely love chemistry and in fact all science in general. I'll give you all the quick and skinny as far my history goes:

Grew up in Allentown, Pennsylvania U.S.A
Went to Penn State University after high school for two years as a Chemistry Major, dropped out.  Acquired a job at a semi-conductor company as a technician on a firber optic laser/photodetector manufacturing line.  The bubble burst, I was laid off a couple times. Quit that job at 28 (total of six years experience in a cleanroom), went to community college, obtained an Associates of Science in Mathematics and transferred to The University of Southern California.  I was initially a BioMedical Engineering student but quickly realized that I want to be a scientist not an engineer and am now a BioChemistry undergrad. I am a 31 years old, a Junior, and a proud member of the Trojan family.  Chemistry has been a passion of mine since tenth grade...what is that 15 years or so.  My goals...I have chosen some very easy goals to accomplish, I want to produce a junction that will enable direct communication and interaction between the biological and physical worlds. Nothing like trying to get a direct link between the brain and a machine to fuction...easy stuff right? If you want to know any more feel free to pm me. Merry christmas everyone and happy science-ing.

Offline Hunt

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +25/-7
« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2007, 09:28:49 PM »
Better late than never....

Hello,

I'm a 21 year-old undergraduate chemistry student , currently in my 3rd year . I am of Aramaic - Armenian roots, born in war-torn Lebanon. My family had to move a lot and eventually settled outside the country. As a consequence I've had not a very stable academic life. I was an average student with no real interest in anything. At school I failed in Chemistry quite frequently. After graduating,I decided to go for engineering, but before that I had to do a freshman class at the American university of dubai. I was living in the UAE temporarily but nevertheless decided to take university seriously and work hard. I had to take one introductory chemistry class - luckily for me with a brilliant chemist. I ended up loving the material and wanted to learn more.

Chemistry turned out to be something very different from I had in mind. Now after 3 years and a half of studying chemistry, I can say I am still very surprised to see such a truly diverse science. Each branch of chemistry uses a completely distinct method yet all converge at the same point. I am impressed by the Analytical chemistry principles and techniques but a bit disappointed that the material never tries to go deep. Physical chemistry is my favourite subject and the easiest of all. Organic chemistry is my weak point , the only course I have constantly failed in and had to take again. It has been a nightmare for me to go through all the memorization of endless reactions and mechanisms and then end up in failure. 

I am interested in certain topics such as heat-mass transfer, diffusion controlled chemical reactions, electrochemistry & electrodynamics, and thermodynamics . I like to read a lot in history & civilization, science, math, and engineering books. I study Aramaic grammar from time to time. I have also lately developed some interest in inorganic synthesis , but I'm still a very amateur and intend to learn more. My goal for now is to find a way to pass the organic synthesis course and then get my B.S. I still havent made up my mind on whether to continue in chemistry or engineering.

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2007, 10:43:03 PM »
Hi.  I am a Physical Inorganic Chemist.  Area of specialization Quantum Chemistry/Computational Chemistry.  I have a M.S. Chemistry from DePaul.  B.S. Chemistry and B.S. Physics. Finally, PhD ABD...will finish someday...

I am from NY.  Moved around a bit, NY, CA, IL, TX, back to IL.  I Love Elemental Analysis:  XRF, XRD, ICP, and AA.

My major hobby involves making modifications to my 2002 WS6 Trans Am....SWEET RIDE!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 04:57:18 PM by Alpha-Omega »

Offline Padfoot

• Mole Snacks: +23/-2
« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2008, 04:50:23 AM »
Hey all  :)

It was suggested I introduce myself so here i am.
My name is Brett, I'm 19 yrs old and am studying pharmacy.  Apart from chemistry, I have also always had a keen interest in biology.  Especially cellular bio.
Anyway I'm really glad I stumbled onto this site, it's a nice place to be  :)

Brett   

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 12:40:13 AM by Brett »

Offline Kryolith

• Mole Snacks: +19/-4
« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2008, 02:40:20 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am from Germany and a graduate student at the university of Heidelberg. I just googled and found the forum accidentally. I hope to have lively discussions and to meet nice people. Perhaps I can also improve my English skills.

Best regards  :)

Kryolith

Offline 0000000

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-7
  • chemist
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2008, 06:41:49 AM »
Oh I missed this importante part :o
 study chemistry and I am second year (that's mean that I am on haft of my undergraduate studies) i am in love with structural and physical chemistry, and 99% I will continue in these parts in my postgraduate studies.

I do not know what to say more... ask me :)  if you want to know something else

all the best

p.s sorry for my nonacademic English, but i am working on that 8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 03:21:51 PM by 0000000 »
My name is Bond, Covalent Bond

Offline Pero

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2008, 05:29:44 PM »
Hello hello. My name is Petar and I'm an undergraduate student of Faculty of Chemical Engineering and Technology in Zagreb, Croatia, where I am studying Environmental Engineering.

I studied Physics at the Faculty of natural sciences and mathematics but that didn't quite work out because my real passion is indeed Chemistry and Biology.

Offline phil81

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2008, 02:31:38 AM »
Hello!

I'm new here. I studied Chemistry at ETH Zürich (Switzerland), where I finished my master's two years ago. Currently, I am doing my Ph.D. at the same place in the field of Medicinal Chemistry.

Offline SM30

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2008, 12:27:41 AM »
Mitch told me to post or he'd break my legs.

I went to UCLA and got a B.S. in chemistry. I worked in the Stoddart group there for a couple years and am now applying to grad school in organic chemistry. At the moment I'm a medicinal chemistry RA in Palo Alto. Schools are being stingy with their replies so I don't know where I'll be for the next 5-6 years.

Offline Martingale

• Mole Snacks: +7/-1
« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2008, 10:49:30 PM »
Hi,

I'm a Mathematician that is looking to learn some chemistry.  I never took chemistry, in HS or in college, and I regret that. Right now I'm reading up on general chemistry and as soon as I have a good understanding of that I'm going to try my hand at physical chem or quantum chemistry. 

-Martingale
Professor: Anywho, your net suits will let you experience Fry's worm-infested bowels as if you were actually wriggling through them.
Dr. Zoidberg: There's no part of that sentence I didn't like.

Offline Nocturnal

• Very New Member
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2008, 06:54:57 PM »
Hi, I'm graduating from Berkeley soon with a BS-Not Chemistry, EECS to be specific, but chem is my second love (I guess we're all just manipulating protons and electrons on some level).  I'm particularly interested in pharmacology.  I took a semester of ochem for fun and mostly enjoyed it. I'm hoping to return to school at some point to get a chem or biochem degree but in the meantime I'll just have to amuse myself. :) And yes, I only come out at night.  ;)

Sponsored Links