March 28, 2024, 10:56:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 615341 times)

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2005, 02:59:48 AM »
Hello again everyone. I am re-introducing myself as I was a little brief in my first intro. (I hope it is OK to reintroduce one's self :-\).

I am a chemist in Australia, I have a masters in chemical sciences (along with my b.sc) I basically majored in all the chemical sciences (I well let you decide if this was wise or not ;)).

I have worked as a research chemist on the "nanoshuttle" project for a couple of years, followed by work for our defence science organisation. I have managed a couple of publications.

I enjoy chemical education and have moved into this field now, designing and implementing undergraduate laboratory courses, manuals, training etc.

Hopefully, I can be of some help to people on the forum (it has been fun so far).

Mike
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Pelle

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2005, 02:22:34 PM »
HI everybody,

I am a first year chemistry student at the University of Gothenburg, Sweden. I am currently studying general chemistry, and will go on to organic and medicinal chemistry later on in my study programme.

I have a girlfriend and a dog, but since I started studying chemistry we live apart. (different parts of the country) She is soon a veterinarian and will move here when she is finished studying.

Oldtimer

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2005, 11:56:29 PM »
Hello;

I'm living in Colorado and do professional carpentry work currently. I am a cabinetmaker, electronics hobbyist, farmer, rancher, and old time oil man.

I went to a College in Rangely Colorado {CNCC} after high school for pre-engineering study in 1980. Colorado School of Mines didn't offer me a good scholarship though and I went to the patch to try to make some bucks and swing it myself. Well wouldn't you know it the bottom fell out of the entire industry that summer after graduation. And I was sunk.

I went to work at a small Gas production company after graduating with a strong GPA. They were a good bunch and the sad thing is the economy forced such a downsize as it did. Then I worked at Halliburton for a year until they were finally squeezed too.

So I farmed and opened a Autobody shop for 10+ years. That was fun and I made enough to return to school interests. As I've mentioned elsewhere, the credits for transfer weren't acceptable since I received the degree from a different school and it had been so long ago.  Now I'm wishing to win the lottery to get three classes of Calculus over with and I'll have   a double major in Computer Science and Chemistry.

Well long story short. If you have a geniune love for Chemistry be ready to get a job elsewhere and wait it out. College is expensive and I wished I had taken my Geology Professors advise to forget about working and get into Wyoming State for a BS when I was young. It just gets more expensive and more difficult the older you get.

My heartfelt desire to know everything about Chemistry is due to my wish to understand the forces that cause myself and so many others around the world to be aflicted with Genetic disorders of skeletal forms. Soft organs are one thing, skeletal repair or reproductive DNA repair are quit another.

I hope somebody will become the next Madam Curie or Linus Pauling so bad I could cry. Because only the sciences born of the heart's desire to cure really make the world a safer and better place in truth and action. A circus style of public education through display is in poor taste and shows little regard for those conditions.

If I could say anything to young chemists that would make their life wealthier and happier it would be, "Get out there in the summer and get State certified in the trade industries while you know the test subject well already.People like Plumbers and Electricians make good money, and chemistry jobs will always be rare at times."

Good luck and rest easy.
Andy

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2005, 03:05:53 AM »
A little late for me to be introducing myself but I guess better late than never.

I'm originally from the Sacramento area in Northern California, but now I'm down south at the University of California, Los Angeles.  I'm a 3rd year undergraduate student majoring in biochemistry and minoring in math.  I actually like the physical sciences a lot more than I like life sciences, but the applications of the life sciences appeal too much to me for me to just major strictly in chemistry or physics.  However, I do research in a structural biology lab which studies membrane protein structure and function as well as a protein-protein interaction domain (the SAM domain) which is involed in many important signal transduction cascades.  Right now I'm investigating the structure and function of the SAM domain of diacylglycerol kinase, an important regulator of lipid metabolism and lipid signaling.  My plans are to go to grad school for a PhD program in biochemistry or biophysics and go into a research-based carreer (maybe as a professor).

Offline AngelShare

• Mole Snacks: +9/-8
  • The Eternal Flame
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2005, 01:44:55 PM »
My name is Kristy and I'm 17 years old. I don't go to a public school anymore; I left after 9th grade so this will be my third and final year at my cyber school.

I, unfortunately, failed Chemistry last year so now I'm taking two science courses; Chemistry and Marine Biology. So far so good, hopefully I can keep it up.

I want to take a year off before going into college but since my Dad is being a :censored:, I don't know what'll happen. He's pretty controlling and arrogant so things may end up going...

:blowup:
Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.[/size] ~Alan Watts

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2005, 11:50:32 AM »
Hello everybody, I'm Alberto.

I am 21 and I study Industrial Pharmacy in Bologna (Italy), my hometown (a city almost exclusively  known for its old university). My aim is to get a PhD in an English or American university and settle down there.
To be honest, I like and I deal with biochemistry and biology more than chemistry, but it is, of course, a key aspect of my studies.
I like this website very much: I consider it a peaceful oasis, where Knowledge is shared and everyone is welcome.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 04:28:05 PM by Albert »

Offline Classic

• Mole Snacks: +3/-7
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2005, 02:01:52 AM »
Hello,

My name is Robertbut my friendscall me Classicever since high school.After long failures of my life

Offline asdf

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2005, 11:48:31 PM »
howdy.

i'm 23, biochem major at OU. happened upon this site thanks to google.

i look forward to helping and being helped.

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2005, 01:53:03 AM »
Hello everyone!

I was born in Trieste (Italy) in 1990. I lived in Italy from 1990 to 1998.
After that I moved to Feldkirch (Austria) with my family, where I'm still living.
I'm currently a high school student (I go to a 5-year high school for chemical engineering).
I'm very interested in chemistry, maths and phyisics. I love this forum, it's a really cool place where everyone can share his knowledge with other people.

That's a pretty short report....no wonder...I'm only 15 years old  :D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 03:47:52 AM by Alberto_Kravina »

GCT

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2005, 01:38:18 PM »
hi all, I''m currently in my last year at Georgia Tech for a B.S. chem (ACS certified) degree, with thoughts on pursuing an additional degree in chemical engineering.  I've actually been active on chemicalforums since its birth, and it's quite nice to see how much it has developed (about the same time my site was created), not many chemistry forums out there by the way, since they all collapse fairly soon.  At the time I have plans to work either in the analytical or physical chemistry field as a graduate student or for a company with perhaps some extra supplemental income from a web based source.

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2005, 02:48:23 PM »
Hi -  My degree is in Physics, not Chemistry.  (I graduated around 15 years ago.)  Despite this, I've been more interested lately in learning more of chemistry than physics.  I started by putting together an element collection (now effectively complete), and have continued with some simple aqueous chemistry experimentation.

My picture (Texas flag) is my sign of shame/honor/regret/etc. that, yes indeed, I live somewhere that requires a license to own an Erlenmeyer flask.   :(

- Mark

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2005, 07:18:33 PM »
Hi

My name is Andrew.  I like chemistry and physics, as well as many aspects of Eastern Asia.  Especially Japan.   Especially ANIME!!

Anyway, I hope I can be of help to people and visa versa.
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

Offline moussa

• Mole Snacks: +3/-15
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2005, 03:14:16 PM »
Life is not those year we live, but those acts we,ve done that humanity will study and learn after us >:(
hi every body my name is moussa zaarour
iam a third year chemistry student in the lebanese university
very happy to be a member of a group of chemists.
I do believe that life is a chemiscal reaction on its own and every action in life they say has an interaction thus also evey actio or act done by humans is chemistry
so have a good chemistry or a good life ;D

yours HNO3
moussa :-[
bye
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 05:32:46 PM by Mitch »
earth is larger than a molecule

Offline Hima Potturi

• Mole Snacks: +4/-4
  • Love chemistry!!!!!!!!!!Live Chemistry!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2005, 03:40:31 PM »
Hi Everybody,
This is Hima K Potturi. I'm a PhD graduate student in organic chemistry in SIU, Carbondale. I have a masters degree in organic chemistry from Osmania University, Hydrabad, India.
I was always interested in organic chemistry. Right now I'm trying to Improve my "Cooking Skills". My PhD Project is releated to medicinal chemistry and not surprisingly cooking is my favorite pastime.
I felt joing this group would help me in my research and at the same time I can share others problems.
Finally, My Sincere thanks to the Moderators to make this happen.

Offline jones106

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2005, 07:12:37 PM »
What's up,
I am a junior at the university of alabama.  I'm majoring in Biology and Spanish w/ hopes of getting into med school.  Just struggling through organic chemistry and need some help.  

jones106

Sponsored Links