March 28, 2024, 11:28:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 615351 times)

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #405 on: March 11, 2014, 10:32:56 AM »
Hello All,

My name is Bob.  I am 25 years old and am currently a production chemist for a small company specializing in insect pheromone technology.  I graduated from SUNY-ESF in Syracuse, NY in 2011 with a B.S. in chemistry.  I am returning to start my graduate work at the same institution this fall in elucidation and synthesis of organic compounds.

I grew up in the Buffalo area and was always intrigued by the field of science.  I enjoyed physics immensely after reading "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.  Though taking my first differential equations class I realized I would not be a major player in string theory and would just stick to chemistry full time. 

Cheers!!
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #406 on: March 11, 2014, 03:49:58 PM »
Ok I think I resisted long enough. ;D
My name is Mike, 22yrs old. Currently finishing my Bc. in bioinorganic chemistry in Palacky Univerzity in Olomouc, Czech Republic trying to prepare enzyme mimetics which is going well I guess.
Im thinking of switching to organic for my masters but Im not sure yet but I most likely will.
I like burgers, pizza, beer, computer games (cs:go, dota),board games (DnD, MtG) and metal music.

Offline VoxAure

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #407 on: April 09, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
Hello!

I'm VoxAure, and I finished my Associate's Degree in Chemistry last year.

I'm currently working internships and building professional connections, hoping that eventually I'll get a good job that will help me pay for further school.

My ultimate goal is either Chemical Engineering or something related. Nothing interests me more than large industrial applications of chemistry!

I'm also a huge dork for batteries (they're beautiful, it's like a ballet of chemicals, reactions, concentrations, voltage potentials and electronics) and pay close attention to the cell phone industry.

In my spare time I play games (Pathfinder anyone?) and listen to classic rock.

Offline Adenosine TriBossphate

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #408 on: April 09, 2014, 02:54:41 PM »
Hey there fellow chemistry enthusiasts!

Currently an undergrad biochemistry student studying at the University of Kansas. Hope to get a PhD in biochemistry and move on to become a biochem researcher (hopefully in California or Washington State). Not much more to be said here, but glad to be a part of the forum!  ;D

Offline Sam_

• Very New Member
« Reply #409 on: May 11, 2014, 08:21:35 PM »
Hi, I'm Sam.

I earned a BSc. in Chemistry (focusing on theory) in 1997 and started grad school immediately after that. I left grad school in 1999 to work on software for the process control industry, never very far from chemical issues but never very close either.
I'm currently trying to develop some ideas I've had about chemistry teaching into functional web services / mobile apps.

I'm here to talk about chemistry and also to practice helping people who have questions about chemistry, in order to better understand what motivates students' questions, what barriers/misconceptions prevent them from understanding chemistry, and how to identify those barriers.

Offline Alec

« Reply #410 on: May 14, 2014, 03:06:49 AM »
Hi

This is Alec from Belgium.

I'm refreshing my chemistry and general science bits and pieces of knowledge from a long time ago as  I aspire to go back to college again in the near future.

Offline Polytriazole

• Mole Snacks: +8/-1
« Reply #411 on: May 21, 2014, 10:25:02 PM »
I'm currently a postdoc at MIT in chemistry, defended my PhD last year from UMass Amherst.

My specialties are polymer chemistry and material science.

I have significant professional interests in community outreach and "soft" skills training.

My big hobbies are cooking, home brewing, reading, and singing.

Offline suzi9spal

Looking for high school chemistry enthusiasts
« Reply #412 on: May 26, 2014, 10:43:15 AM »
Hello,

My name is Dan and I'm in my second high school year.
Recently I've become really interested in chemistry and I'm looking for people like me to start a group on Facebook, it would be great if I could communicate with someone that has similar interests. So if you are in your teenage years and interested in chemistry, please message me. The crazier the better :D

Regards,
Dan T.

Offline Zyklonb

• Mole Snacks: +30/-10
« Reply #413 on: June 27, 2014, 05:52:26 PM »
I wasn't planning on doing this, but whatever.
I'm a 15 year old male, I am a hobby chemist, who has takin' a few high school chemistry classes and will take a college class next year - hopefully.
I like doing experiments in my home lab, where I have achieved hundreds of useful chemicals and lots of glassware.
   I work mostly in inorganic chemistry, as I'm still learning organic.
Mostly I do rather dangerous procedures, experimenting with and covalent compounds of sulfur, chlorine, bromine, iodine, nitrogen, and many oxyacid's thereof.
I like to make covalent compounds (generally liquids, as gasses are harder to control and generally more toxic).
Recently I made: ClO, I2Cl6 (tends to catch anything organic on fire upon contact), liquid N2O4, SO3, Br2, S2Cl4 (very unstable, most be stored under pure chlorine), S2Cl2, Nh2Cl and many more in the past.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #414 on: June 28, 2014, 06:52:10 AM »
I wasn't planning on doing this, but whatever.
I'm a 15 year old male, I am a hobby chemist, who has takin' a few high school chemistry classes and will take a college class next year - hopefully.
I like doing experiments in my home lab, where I have achieved hundreds of useful chemicals and lots of glassware.
   I work mostly in inorganic chemistry, as I'm still learning organic.
Mostly I do rather dangerous procedures, experimenting with and covalent compounds of sulfur, chlorine, bromine, iodine, nitrogen, and many oxyacid's thereof.
I like to make covalent compounds (generally liquids, as gasses are harder to control and generally more toxic).
Recently I made: ClO, I2Cl6 (tends to catch anything organic on fire upon contact), liquid N2O4, SO3, Br2, S2Cl4 (very unstable, most be stored under pure chlorine), S2Cl2, Nh2Cl and many more in the past.

In similar way I started my carreer about 40 years ago. But today its not so easy anymore because chemicals restricted and cannot purchased from private person easily.

Offline EvaTye

• Very New Member
« Reply #415 on: June 29, 2014, 11:56:39 PM »
Hi,

I am Eva. I work for a chemical company on graphite products, it mainly deal with graphene. I like this work, for I think graphene is a kind of very amazing material, I believe it will change our life, make life better. Hope to get more friends here who also intrested in this material :)

Offline CaptainCovalency

• Very New Member
« Reply #416 on: July 01, 2014, 02:14:43 PM »
Hello! I am a high school student of chemistry, so as you can imagine, I am hardly scraping the dust in this advanced world of research. I do highly enjoy the subject, and am striving to thoroughly understand these concepts. I'm excited to see what these forums have to offer, and am glad to have found fellow lovers of chemistry!

Offline puffincatz23

« Reply #417 on: July 08, 2014, 05:17:55 PM »
Hello Everyone!

Words can't describe how happy I am to have discovered this forum. It's awesome to find a community of like minded people who share the same passion as I do! Anyhow, a little bit about myself. I am currently an upcoming Junior majoring in biology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Although I am also pre-med, I have developed a love for organic chemistry ever since I took it last year. I'm currently a TA for that class, and I consider organic chemistry my "hobby" :)

I am the type of person that loves to ask questions. As I continue to learn more about the magical world of chemistry, I constantly have random questions that pop up in my head that begs for answers. However, I can't really bother my orgo professor 24/7, so I am hoping that I can get everything answered here. I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Offline nightguy

« Reply #418 on: August 02, 2014, 09:01:27 AM »
Hi! I'm Nik, and currently I'm high school student, where I'm studying for mechatronic technician. I don't have a lot of chemistry in my school, but I found great interest in chemistry, so it became my hobby and I hope, I will learn something from users of this forum :)

Otherwise I work alot with electronics, like all kinds of electronic circuits, robotics, computers and other IT systems. I always had interest in all kinds of stuff, so chemistry is not exception :D

Offline Za_fantasia

• Very New Member
« Reply #419 on: September 29, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »
Hi there

Feel free to call me Za
I'm still a teenager.
Um, well, I'm not the smartest kid around, but I love learning new things and can state the most random, unusual facts. I'm one of the most curious people you could ever come across.

So yeah, that's about it. :-)

Sponsored Links