April 19, 2024, 05:35:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 618149 times)

Offline ChinesePink

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2006, 11:18:51 PM »
Hey everyone~
I am from Chinese,my major is Organic Chemisty.My English is poor,teach me more,please~

Offline mdlhvn

• Mole Snacks: +5/-2
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2006, 10:37:27 PM »
Maybe I am the first Vietnamese introducing here.

So... I love chemistry when I entered 10-grade at specialized high school (of course chemistry major).

I've just graduated from College of Science, Vietnam National University (VNU), Hanoi. My major is analytical chemistry. However, my research interest now is Environmental treatment.

Now I am in PhD course at VNU, work at Research Center for Environmental technology and Sustainable Development (CETASD). I aim to get a scholarship in Korea next year for my PhD course.

Nice to meet you all!

Merry christmas and Happy New Year!

Offline vhpk

• Mole Snacks: +12/-25
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2007, 10:59:48 PM »
Hello everyone,  ;D, my name's Khanh and I'm a schoolboy of grade tenth, I live in Vietnam, I hope to know more things about chemistry.
Please help me more ;D
Genius is a long patience

Offline Glaudge

« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2007, 04:36:08 PM »
hello, i'm brand new, noob, newbie, whatever u wish to say, but
i am a 14 yr old middle school student in leslie co. Kentucky(southeastern part) U.S.A. and i love science, especialy the chemistry section, cause chemistry fun, and i like conducting reactions(any kind, not just the exothermic explody ones) but i am a pyromaniac,
     you may think i am considered, a geeky nerd by my classmates, with me being on the ACADEMIC TEAM and all (district comptetition, got champion in social studies, and runner up in science, which was the category assessment tests, 50 multi choice Q's and tiebraker essay, the areas were science, social studies, mathematics, language arts, engilish comp, and arts and humanities, while the quick recall barely won runner up(quick recall is matches, 80 questions, 2 teams against each other, 4 players in at a time, using buzzers and quick fingers to answer questions, random subject area questions) you can look at the district results by going to www.kaac.com middle school district results, we are in district 70) but, no, not only am i smart, but half the school and all the teachers praise and congratulate me(woot)

but in college i plan to go to the university of kentucky, then will decide afterwars if i wana take on harvard chemistry or not, but i plan to major in chemistry, and a second language, nuclear physics, and minor with psycology(the brain is interesting how it works) and mabye geology/minerology (it sucks that the only abundant mineral we have here is coal, and not a gemstone in sight)
i try to steer away from pharmicudicals, since the fda and drug companies is so corrupt)
and plan to work for NASA, with some sort of chemistry or even space chemistry area.

sry about spelling errors.

Offline Glaudge

« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2007, 08:40:57 PM »
i fix that, it is region 20 district 77, should be leslie, clay and roy g eversole middle schools.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2007, 10:51:36 PM »
Don't let everyone congratulating you on how smart you are go to your head. Being smart won't make you a good scientist. At my current stage in education, everyone around me is as smart or smarter than I, but it really doesn't matter who is the smartest. What matters is what you achieve, the questions you tackled, and the approach taken to solve a scientifically interesting question. For example, you say fire is interesting, so instead of just watching things burn you could measure the speed a fire spreads in different materials. You could try to make green or violet flames by using different metal salts. Science is more than being interested in something or enjoying a bang or burning things. Science is all about investigation and tackling a problem(ie make green flames) with the equipment, knowledge and materials available to you. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Mitch
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2007, 10:56:41 PM »
Mmmmm colored flames. Me like.

I think Li metal salts are some the coolest. Copper salts are a close 2nd.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • ooh, shiny!
    • carbon-based curiosities
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2007, 11:34:21 PM »
Lithium is my favourite as well.  Isn't it potassium that burns a pretty lavender?  (It's been awhile.)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2007, 11:02:47 PM »
Lithium is my favourite as well.  Isn't it potassium that burns a pretty lavender?  (It's been awhile.)

I've heard that, but never been able to test that for myself.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2007, 01:42:17 PM »
I just changed my username from 'Mark K' to 'pantone159'.  I use the new name on several other message boards, so I figured that I would be consistent.  (ScienceMadness, http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/index.php, is the only chemistry related one, that people on this board are likely to have seen.)

BTW - If you like colored flames, make sure to try boric acid dissolved in methanol, which makes nice green flames.  I think woelen has some info on his site.

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2007, 07:40:41 AM »
I've heard that, but never been able to test that for myself.
It's true, but the violet color is hard to see as there is always a trace of sodium that covers everything

Offline socio

• Very New Member
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2007, 03:08:59 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm socio.

I was born in Mexico.  I lived there until i finished my 9th grade, then I moved to the US in southern California.  I always loved chemistry since i was in the 7th grade, so during my free time I read general chemistry textbooks that I found at the local library.  During High School in the US I took the AP chemistry test without taking the AP chemistry class, which I got a 5.  During my senior year in High School I got involved in the local community college giving lectures and helping students with their labs.  I also provided tutoring in exchange of food to eat while I tutored the students that requested my help.
    I got accepted into college and I was a declared major in chemical engineering.  During my freshman year I networked with 4th year chemical engineering students and I realized that the chemical engineering curriculum was not what I expected.  I thought that the chemical engineering degree required a strong background in chemistry.  I also found that the chemical engineering curriculum has an involved application in physical phenomeno, such as transport phenomena (momentum, heat and mass) as well as an applied knowledge in economics and optimization, which I liked too.  I decided to pursue this degree, but in order to satisfy my needs of a strong chemistry background, I declared a double major in chemistry.  I am currently a 4th year student.
     As of research, I am currently planning on doing research in electrically conductive polymers which includes the study of novel metal-containing electronically-delocalized polymers.  For chemical engineering, I am currently planning on researching fuel cells, especially solid oxide fuel cells.
     As for personal interests, I listen to trance, death metal, jazz and any acoustic guitar style, such as classical or spanish flamenco.  During my free time I love to gamble, trying to count cards, playing Texas Hold'em and smoking cigars (especially Cuban cigars, such as Cohiba or Romeo y Julieta).
     I think that is it for an introduction.  I hope to be an active and valuable member of this forum.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 03:31:49 AM by socio »

Offline ladygnat

« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2007, 08:48:01 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm Natalie (which is why my  username has gnat in it), a college student and chemistry major, possibly with a concentration in environmental studies (probably even without trying because the diversification requirements related to environmental studies are the most interesting).  I'm currently in organic chemistry as a sophomore.  At first it was a coin toss between biology and chemistry, but I became more and more enamored with chemistry and less so with biology.  But that's just me :)  I like the answers chemistry gives me as I've always been curious.  I'm not quite sure what I want to do with it, but I'm presently looking at internships to help me figure that out.  I play tennis, I love horses.  I also have an interest in politics, but the issues I'm most concerned and/or care the most about regard science and the environment.  I was having serious motivation problems to continue on my biology take home/lab report for organic/study for organic when I came across this forum.  My biology is now done except for the exam friday, and well, my organic lab report will be done by tonight (I just have a few things to clean up like figuring out the other peaks on my NMR....), then I can focus on studying for the organic exam friday.  Then I'm on spring break.  Anyway, this forum looks real nice :)  I'll be back later....

Edited to add: I found the mechanism I was having problems with when I came across this site!!  It was, of course, in lecture notes :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 12:57:39 PM by ladygnat »

Offline Maz

• Physics Bandit
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2007, 11:54:17 PM »
Hello people,

I am Maz.  I suppose I should have posted here before posting on the blog, but oh well.  It seemed like a good idea at the time to post a sort of introductory blog entry with background on me and my research.  Unfortunately it really didn't come off as well as I would have liked.  I am really new (first ever) to the whole blogging thing, and I'm not really an avid internet user.  NOTE:  I am comparing myself to Mitch here, who seems to live partially in the internet.

To answer psi*psi's question (how do you the awesome symbols?), I am a junior at UCB, currently pursuing a physics and chemistry double major.  See I liked physics, but after taking some chemistry classes I found I couldn't tear myself away from it.  It really is a love-hate relationship for me though.  While I can't stand the hand-waviness of chemistry, I love the practicality of it.  It is so much more fun to actually DO then physics. 

Anyways, that's my blurb.  On to the blog!

Offline CarroTT

• Very New Member
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2007, 11:30:55 AM »
Harlooooo evelibodi,
i m a 2nd year Chemistry student in UTAR at Malaysia  ;D

Accidently *Ignore me, I am impatient* into this forum when looking for materials to do my lab report

Here is some intro bout me  ;D
I live in KL, Malaysia
loves motorcycles, eat , sleep, s#*$ , dream, live and rides bikes  :P

Socio,
i m very interested to know bout your research
one of my lecturer are doing the same thing and has presented his work a few weeks ago,
he has been doing research on it for a few years now, reli quite interesting
using PVC and Lithium

I m interested in polymer chemistry, also composites,
before i am a chemistry student, i was in materials and manufacturing,
but then some real complications happened and hate it so much, i left after 2 weeks,
Then joined UTAR for Chemistry, probably the best decision i have ever made,

so still thinking bout what i m gonna do for next year project ( chem degree course in malaysia is a 3 years course)
Have been thing bout glass this few days, i tink it has big potential . . .
will have a discussion with a lecturer later

Sponsored Links