April 29, 2024, 02:28:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Finding molar mass of a unknown diprotic acid  (Read 2171 times)

Offline akacobee

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Finding molar mass of a unknown diprotic acid
« on: April 10, 2016, 02:52:02 PM »
Hi all. I am working on a general chem "weak acid titration" and I have ran into an issue. When finding the molar mass of a diprotic acid in titration with NaOH, is the moles of OH- the same as the moles of H+ at the equivalence point? Here the equilibrium equations a classmate and I put together:

H2A + H2::equil:: HA + H3O+
HA + H2::equil:: A2- + H3O+

The first equation is Ka1 and the second is Ka2. One student recommended that we divide the moles of OH- to find the moles of H+. But when I did this method, my experimental molar mass was completely off the charts and wasn't close to any of the given theoretical diprotic acids. But when I calculate the molar mass with the moles of H+ being the same as OH-, I get a pretty decent experimental molar mass and I found what the unknown could be from the given diprotic acids.

I'm guessing I'm asking if I am using the right method to find the molar mass of the diprotic acid. Thanks!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Finding molar mass of a unknown diprotic acid
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 03:45:33 PM »
Diprotic acid may react with 1 or 2 moles NaOH, depending on which equivalence point you are using in titration (indicator).
AWK

Sponsored Links